Side draft hot water heater. Direct Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Timothy Peruch

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this before THE PLASTIC SIDE ATTACHMENT ? and can it be replaced with a regular gas hot water heater.

Attachments

• 20181218_170307.jpg
    20181218_170307.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 386
  • 20181218_171321.jpg
    20181218_171321.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,689

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What you have is called a "Direct Vent" and a standard gas water heater does not work there. The newer tanks don't have the plastic pipe down to the flame chamber, but they do have an air vent to it built in.

rheem-direct-vent.jpg

Rheem Direct Vent

bw-direct-vent.jpg

Bradford White Direct Vent

The direct vent water heater will come with the piping and outside vent in the box.

Last edited:

EarToTheGround

Reaction score
What you have is called a "Direct Vent" and a standard gas water heater does not work there. The newer tanks don't have the plastic pipe down to the flame chamber, but they do have an air vent to it built in.

rheem-direct-vent.jpg

Rheem Direct Vent

bw-direct-vent.jpg

Bradford White Direct Vent

The direct vent water heater will come with the piping and outside vent in the box.

I recently purchased an AO Smith direct vent, 50 gal gas heater. (Item# 816132)

Can anyone tell me if there would be an issue running the vent to the roof instead of the wall? I'm not excited about buying a $165 7" masonry hole bit that I'll ever only use once. In this application, the heater is going into a garage near an outside wall, so the roof height is not excessive nor would it require additional ducting beyond what is already included with the heater.

Would love any insight, thanks!

Bannerman

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there would be an issue running the vent to the roof instead of the wall?
That will be dependant on the WH manufacturer's requirements. Check the installation manual.

When a manufacturer permits the unit to be vented through the roof, they will offer an appropriate termination kit or will suggest the appropriate components.

I'm not excited about buying a $165 7" masonry hole bit that I'll ever only use once.
Have you considered renting the appropriate tool?

EarToTheGround

Reaction score
That will be dependant on the WH manufacturer's requirements. Check the installation manual.

When a manufacturer permits the unit to be vented through the roof, they will offer an appropriate termination kit or will suggest the appropriate components.

Have you considered renting the appropriate tool?
Thanks! Hadn't considered renting, definitely an option.

The manual says nothing about a roof entry, although the product site says it's possible:

https://www.aosmithatlowes.com/products/water-heaters/gas-water-heaters/g6-dvt5040nv/

I'll ask them about a different termination kit, appreciate that.

Phog

Reaction score
I'm not excited about buying a $165 7" masonry hole bit that I'll ever only use once.

I've made holes in brick before by drawing a circle of the appropriate size (in your case 7"). Then getting a standard 1/4" masonry drill bit and drilling a series of holes every half inch or so around the circle with a hammer drill. And finally finishing it off with a cold chisel. It takes awhile but works fine.

Fitter30

Reaction score
You can rent wet core bits just do web search. Sun and United two rental places. Also there are companies that will do core drilling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks