Side Discharge Shower Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Allen Brown

Reaction score
I'm having trouble locating any information related to code on side discharge shower drains such as:

Infinity Drain:
http://focalpointhardware.com/infinity-drain-clamp-down-series-cdiq-42-drain-p-10756.html)

or QuickDrain USA:
(

or EasyDrain

I'm located in California.

I'm moving a shower and opted to not cut concrete and cast iron piping, so i used a Ferno nohub coupling a 90 street elbow (https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-ABS-DWV-90-Degree-Spigot-x-Hub-Elbow-C58072HD2/100342577) to get over to the new shower drain 24" away from the original. To give myself a 1/4" per linear foot grade and keep the pipe low i did chip away a little bit (less than 1") of the concrete between the two locations.

A few questions:

1. Is 24" of slightly graded, horizontal run between the shower drain and the drop to the p-trap acceptable? Is there a maximum distance allowed by code?

2. The selection of side-discharge shower outlet drains is limited. They look basically like flat 90 degree turns though. I assume the answer is no, but would I be allowed to put a 90 vent elbow below my new drain so I can use a standard straight down low profile shower drain? The 90 degree vent ABS would be directly beneath the drain, then a 24" sloped run to a regular 90, which drops down to the original p-trap and vent.

plumbing .jpg

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Consider that the entire length of that horizontal pipe will likely build up soap scum and organic materials over time, and will start to stink. (Even a short length of vertical shower drain pipe leading to the P-trap can show a similar build-up.) How will you manage to clean that horizontal pipe when that happens?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm guessing that its already installed.. How did it do? I've installed similar setups on occasion when a structural condition prevented a trap directly under the tailpiece and have never heard any negative feedback.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks