Shutting Refrigerator water line valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Peter Lifrieri

Reaction score
Hello:
I have an 11 year old refrigerator connected to a dedicated shut off valve. I basically never use the water or ice maker and since the line (white plastic type) is also 11 years old, I'm considering shutting the valve (I don't know when I will get around to replacing the plastic supply line.) My question is, if the valve is shutoff let's say for 2 years, could it cause any damage to the general plumbing system (copper)? Will the valve have a greater chance of failing if in the closed position for an extended period of time? Just want to know if it's okay to shut down as a preventative measure since I hear plastic supply lines for refrigerators like to fail at around 10 years.

Thank you,
Pete

Reaction score
Turn-valves often get "stuck" when they haven't been used in decades.

Just keep an eye on it when you open it in the future to use water. It may leak thru the packing.

Otherwise, if you have no intention in your lifetime to use it, best to remove it and put a cap.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's something you might want to consider. I am assuming (dangerous, I know) that you have a saddle valve on the supply line. Many of us dislike these because they tend to fail so we replace them with a 1/4 turn ball valve and adapt that to a 1/4" copper line. The reason I suggest this now is it will simplify the future.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF you have a saddle valve, and not a conventional one plumbed in, I definitely would remove it rather than just trying to turn it off. If it is a conventional valve, you could shut it off, and put a cap on the outlet to keep things clean and protect the threads from being dinged up.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF you have a saddle valve, and not a conventional one plumbed in, I definitely would remove it rather than just trying to turn it off. If it is a conventional valve, you could shut it off, and put a cap on the outlet to keep things clean and protect the threads from being dinged up.

Peter Lifrieri

Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. I believe it's a 1/4 turn ball valve, it's encased in the wall behind the fridge in a plastic box with a switch like component that turns the water on and off.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As my disclaimer said, it is dangerous to assume. I think at this point shutting the valve off will be enough. In the future, get rid of the plastic line and replace with copper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks