Shut-off valve: sweat vs compression

Users who are viewing this thread

French_guy

Reaction score
Which compression fitting shut-off valve would you recommend? Brasscraft from Home Depot (the ball seems to be plastic) or the ones from Lowes (ball seems to be metal).....or none of them?

Flapper

Reaction score
Which compression fitting shut-off valve would you recommend? Brasscraft from Home Depot (the ball seems to be plastic) or the ones from Lowes (ball seems to be metal).....or none of them?
The BrassCraft at Home Depot is Made in USA but has a plastic cylindrical "ball"; the Keeney at Lowe's is made in China but has a spherical metal "ball". Both are good enough so take your pick. I used the Keeney and it worked well.

French_guy

Reaction score
I went to a plumbing supply store, and got "Everflow" valves that have metal balls - And they were cheaper than at HD or Lowes ($7 vs $9)
For the installation, I've read from 1/2 turn up to 2 full turn to properly tighten them.....2 full turns seems a lot !!!

Flapper

Reaction score

French_guy

Reaction score
Grrr......Hope they are not junk !!!
I thought if they were sold at a plumbing supply store where pros buy material, I should be safe......

French_guy

Reaction score
I've just installed 2 of them....the 1st one, I did a little less than a half turn, and on the other one a complete half turn
I have no leak at all......
But now I'm concerned about the valve being properly secured with a little less than 1/2" turn
Or if there is no leak, does it mean it's just fine?

Plumber's Friend

Reaction score
In 30 years, I've broken one compression nut by over tightening. Is your valve tight on the pipe (can you rotate it?) If it is securely attached, it's probably good, but unless you're some kind of superman, you probably won't hurt anything with an extra half or quarter turn. You're using two wrenches, right?

French_guy

Reaction score
No, I'm not superman.....I guess I'm normally constituted :)
Maybe if I force on the vavle, I might be able to rotate it....But it's not loose for sure
I think the "problem" is I'm using straight valves, and I'm trying to keep the handle facing me
So the only way to grab the valve is from behind with a 10" pipe wrench. But the grab is not perfect with that type of wrench though
Now, I realize I should have turned the valve a little on one side to be able to use a 6" adjustable wrench
What is the risk if I try to rotate the valve to be able to use another wrench (6" adjustable), and then give it an additional 1/4 turn?

Plumber's Friend

Reaction score
No, I'm not superman.....I guess I'm normally constituted :)
Maybe if I force on the vavle, I might be able to rotate it....But it's not loose for sure
I think the "problem" is I'm using straight valves, and I'm trying to keep the handle facing me
So the only way to grab the valve is from behind with a 10" pipe wrench. But the grab is not perfect with that type of wrench though
Now, I realize I should have turned the valve a little on one side to be able to use a 6" adjustable wrench
What is the risk if I try to rotate the valve to be able to use another wrench (6" adjustable), and then give it an additional 1/4 turn?

With the water off, you can loosen the compression nut and rotate the valve to the position you want, then tighten the nut. Most valve bodies and nuts fit standard SAE open end wrenches, so you may be able to find one with the open end at the desired angle to the handle.

French_guy

Reaction score
That means a wrench with the open end being at 90 deg with the handle.....
Does this type of wrench exist?

Reach4

Reaction score
That means a wrench with the open end being at 90 deg with the handle.....
Does this type of wrench exist?
If the crowsfoot or angle wrench does not match your situation, how about a photo of what you are trying to deal with.

French_guy

Reaction score
Thanks to all the good advice.....Went to Harbor Freight and picked up a set of crowfoot wrenches. I used the 3/4" to tighten a little bit more the valve
Now I have made a good half turn, and it was pretty tight actually
I really don't see how I could go up to 1 full turn.....!!!!

Reach4

Reaction score
Now I have made a good half turn, and it was pretty tight actually
I really don't see how I could go up to 1 full turn.....!!!!
You had already started with 1/2 turn, and you added another half turn. You gave it a lot of torque. It doesn't leak. I don't know if you said it, but I had the impression that it did not leak before you added that last half turn, right?

Done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks