Shut off valve for outside spigot calcified?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ridgewood Paul

Reaction score
Allow me to state this is my first plumbing post, EVER.
Forums are 'F'in great! Where else can an average human get answers to questions without feeling like a moron for asking them.

Anyhoot, at the house where I rent we have two outside spigots, one in the fron and one in the back.

After finding a hose in the garage today I wanted to attach it to the backyard spigot.

I realized that no water came out of the spigot, so I went into the basement to see if the shutoff valve to the outside spigot was closed.

PROBLEM
I was not able to loosen or tighten the knob on the shutoff valve and I didn't want to force it. This has been a problem at every shutoff valve in this house. We do have hard water in this town and I think that the valve is all calcified.

What should I do?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It very possibly is the hard water crud that is the problem, but the thing you must do is notify the landlord. You should not mess with his plumbing or any other utility. I know he will probably ignore the problem and that's a real PITA, but it's his property. If it becomes a health or safety issue that he ignores, then you can go to the authorities, but an outside hose bib or two won't qualify for health and/or safety.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks