Shut off after meter leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Doublebonus

Reaction score
I have 2 valves,1 before meter and 1 after. I can turn off the water valve before the meter to replace the valve after the meter,correct?
20230512_095331.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
After you verify that the 1st valve actually controls the flow enough.. If it stops completely you're golden. If it dribbles then you can undo that union and let it drain into a bucket while you work.

I would eliminate the spriral wrap of that wire leaving the meter too. It makes working on your copper difficult. Not super important, but it allows you to move the wire if you need to just by removing the attachment rather than unspriraling it.
1683902501284.png

Reach4

Reaction score
I think the wire sends the meter reading to an outdoor hookup/transmitter for the meter reader. Maybe talk to the water department before the work.

A plumber using press connections can connect to copper that is dripping.

If you do the work, I would support the meter with blocks and shims to take the weight off of the pipes while the left pipe amd valves are being replaced.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Great Idea support meter as the blue thing on the connection is to discourage tampering or removal.
the wire most definately is for transmitting readings . cut pipe and unwrap wire thats all . If you cant turn water off then you could call water company but I see no need unless you bust the main and water starts blowing

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks