Showers turn cold after 30 seconds after installing a Delta valve without cartridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

impreza276

Reaction score
I have two showers in the house 2 and 5 years old, both built by me. One uses a Moen mixing valve and the other a Delta mixing valve. Both worked fine until a week ago when the complaints about the showers turning cold or lukewarm began. The hot water to the sinks is still quite hot, though I can keep my finger under the running tap.

In order to fix the problem quickly I replaced the Delta valve but that has had little effect. The only change in the system is that I have started building a third shower, which is further down the run from the other two showers.

I am completely stumped by the problem. The shutoff valves are open and no debris from the new construction could have gone upstream into the other showers. My only guess is that it could be a water heater tank issue, such as a change in temperature that is tripping up both shower values. Any ideas?

impreza276

Reaction score
Hmm.. I think I have figured it out after reading the responses to "One of two showers uses ALL the hot water?". A dumb mistake that should take all of an instant to fix. Will report tomorrow. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have the rough-in for that third bathroom, but did not install the cartridge yet, most designs will allow the hot/cold to cross-over. With Delta, you MUST install the plug to prevent that, or install the cartridge. Delta used to provide that plug, but from what I hear, it's now optional in most boxes.

impreza276

Reaction score
That was exactly it! I used the regular plug that allowed the hot/cold to mix. I solved the problem by closing the shutoffs for the new plumbing. At one point I was fearing that it could be my heater was dying.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks