Showerhead pipe faces up after remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

rox05

Reaction score
We recently did a remodel, and I inserted the new angled pipe into the wall for the shower Head. But when the pipe is tightened to tight, it is facing up toward the ceiling, instead of down into the shower. I tried adding extra wraps of teflon tape, but it still tightens up at about the same angle, facing up! The pipe is bright (gold-like finish) brass, and it is going into a Cast iron female thread in the wall. Any looser and it leaks. Scared to go any tighter, I'm afraid will rip the pipe mountings off in the wall.

Do I have to find another short showerhead angle pipe with the thread starting at 180 degrees to the one I have?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower arm

There is no "standard" as to where the thread starts on the shower arm. It is threaded and then bent so it could start anywhere. If the elbow is going to break in the wall it is not secured very well. A plumber would just tighten it to the proper location by putting more torsion on it.

rox05

Reaction score
well, I can't take a chance of ripping the fitting of the studs, it only has plastic (impervious to freezing) flexible line going down to the shower faucet. So I think I am going to put the pipe into a 1/2 inch threading die and cut another 1/2 turn of thread onto it. Then it should tighten up in the correct position.

mrjetskey

Reaction score
That won't do a thing if your problem is inside thread that is corroded at that point.if you cant clean out the the coupling in the wall threads,which with a wire toothbrush sized brush or a dremel fitted with wire wheel,you might be able to file a half thread off of the new goose neck ,then instead of btm. out against the corroded threads in the wall coupling it will turn another half turn.If you cut more threads on gooseneck and the problem is corrosion in wall coupling you will still either btm out at same place or create a leak with another half turn,try cleaning first then filing gooseneck if you have to.JMHO but it worked for me!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks