Shower with no P-trap

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Karnzo, May 29, 2021.

1. Karnzo

Karnzo New Member

Hi all. I've searched numerous places to try to find a solution to a shower in my basement without a p-trap, but haven't found much other than to use a trap guard or HepvO. From what I've read both of these aren't really good alternatives. The drain pipe runs along the cement floor, connects to a sink drain, then goes down into the floor. There is no room under the pipe to install anything without having to cut into the cement, which obviously isn't ideal. I've lived in my house for about 5 years and recently noticed smells coming up through the shower drain. I have a septic tank if that makes any difference.

I have attached pics with a better description of what I am seeing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The p-trap should be installed below the drain for the shower and vented to prevent siphoning. So right now without the p-trap, you have a direct line to the septic tank sewer gas. Without the water seal from the trap, something needs to be done. I have not tried a trap guard or HepvO.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing - fire suppression - boiler inspector
    Years ago some NOT SO handyman installed a shower no trap and no vent

You may want to consider installing a double running trap with an access so you can have access to snaking and run a vent from the down stream part of the trap

5. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing - fire suppression - boiler inspector