Shower water lines sit in front of studs

Users who are viewing this thread

Jlm6789

Reaction score
I’m currently doing a bathroom remodel and I just finished tearing down the old fiberglass shower insert. When measuring for the new shower base I noticed that the water lines for the shower don’t go through the 2x4 in the floor. This makes it so the water lines slightly sit in front of the studs. This is likely going to cause an issue when I go to install the shower base and even put up my backer board.

Is there an easy fix or am I going to have to re-route the water lines to go through the studs?

Thanks.

C23BFA29-7BFE-42CD-AEF7-2630865B6D79.jpeg
5D0E9E27-C071-401E-9CFD-4CFDBD2E7748.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The water lines need to be behind the backerboard. So you need to either move the water lines into the framing, or move the backerboard out from the framing, i.e. fur out the framing.

Cheers, Way

Sweettamg

Reaction score
I have a similar issue but my water lines are encased in concrete slab. I want to tile the entire shower. I can't cut up the concrete.

shower2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You could fir out the back wall, or it also may be there there is some space on the pan that would allow the lines to fit under the curve of the pan.

mustee-3060-showertub.jpg

mustee-42-317a-compare.jpg

The Mustee shower pan uses a Mustee shower drain, they are sized a little different.

andrea-shower-01.jpg

bonheur_01.jpg

This shower pan is made of cast iron, from Kohler.

Last edited:

Sweettamg

Reaction score
You could fir out the back wall, or it also may be there there is some space on the pan that would allow the lines to fit under the curve of the pan.

mustee-3060-showertub.jpg

bonheur_01.jpg
I might have to see if I can find this one and see if it fits, the drain might have to be moved just a bit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks