Shower Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

ScottRV1234

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice on how to vent my new shower drain. Since a picture is worth 1000 words, here is what I have dry fit so far. So will what I have shown properly vent?

20170814_101612.jpg 20170814_101707.jpg

Stuff

Reaction score
It will vent but is not allowed for most codes. You have a horizontal dry vent below flood level. One fear is that it may get clogged when the drain backs up and won't clear itself.
Shower venting can be difficult. Usually easier to wet vent from the bathroom sink. What is the overall bathroom design?

Last edited:

ScottRV1234

Reaction score
It will vent but is not allowed for most codes. You have a horizontal dry vent below flood level. One fear is that it may get clogged when the drain backs up and won't clear itself.
Shower venting can be difficult. Usually easier to wet vent from the bathroom sink. What is the overall bathroom design?

Thank you for your reply! So here is a crude drawing of the room from excel. I also attached a sketch of how the shower drain/vent is put together. The dotted line is the vent line in that sketch.

Thanks again for the advice!
Bathroom Layout.JPG
20170814_185157.jpg

Stuff

Reaction score
No other drains nearby? You might need to turn the trap 180º to get the drain close enough to the wall. Then you should be able to do a dry vent without it being horizontal. I can't find a picture of this.

Maybe one of the real plumbers can better direct you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks