Shower vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Layla-Gail O'Brien

Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
When plumbing two showers, can I connect vents together, running horizontally over a door or window instead of running two roof penetrations?

The total separation distance of the drains are ~6ft (but could be reduced slightly) & there's not another vent within 5ft so they have to have one.

Plan: https://drive.google.com/open?id=10xoaCxslCLMclV9tLBtbIHYqWBjQbS8a

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you can run a vent horizontally 6 inches higher than the flood plane of the fixtures they serve. As I see it, the flood plane of a shower is really low... the rim on the shower stall. So under a window should work too. Hold on before you act on that one. Some codes may require 42 inches above the floor. Let's see what others think on that.

I was picturing you going over a door.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
When plumbing two showers, can I connect vents together, running horizontally over a door or window instead of running two roof penetrations?

The total separation distance of the drains are ~6ft (but could be reduced slightly) & there's not another vent within 5ft so they have to have one.

Plan: https://drive.google.com/open?id=10xoaCxslCLMclV9tLBtbIHYqWBjQbS8a

Running the vents together is fine. However, you cannot cut into the header (for the door or the window), or the header won't do what it is designed to do. You may want to consider going straight up into the attic and joining the vents together in the attic. Don't cut the header.

Layla-Gail O'Brien

Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Running the vents together is fine. However, you cannot cut into the header (for the door or the window), or the header won't do what it is designed to do. You may want to consider going straight up into the attic and joining the vents together in the attic. Don't cut the header.
I'd love to be able to go in the attic, but there isn't one, I'll have a foot or so above the header to work with though. Thanks for the reply!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks