Shower valve repair- How to stop the water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gyusung Lee

Reaction score
Hi,

My shower is leaking from the showerhead, and it will need a new valve. Since there is not local shutoff valve like a sink faucet, I guess I will need to close the master water supply valve. I found it, but it has multiple valve handles. Should I close on before the meter, after the meter, or third one labeled as emergency shutoff?

Sorry for the stupid question, but I am wondering closing one of this valve will cut off both cold and hot water coming into the shower. Do I have to close the valve at the water heater as well? Your help is very appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20180418_205627.jpg
    20180418_205627.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 20180418_205649.jpg
    20180418_205649.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 146

Reach4

Reaction score
My shower is leaking from the showerhead, and it will need a new valve. Since there is not local shutoff valve like a sink faucet, I guess I will need to close the master water supply valve. I found it, but it has multiple valve handles. Should I close on before the meter, after the meter, or third one labeled as emergency shutoff?
Closing either valve at the water meter will shut off water for hot and cold.

It should not be necessary to close the input to the WH, I don't think. Put the WH into vacation mode if it has one, otherwise turn it off.

You will want to drain the pipes via a pipe lower than your shower valve, and you will open some other faucets to admit air. An outside hose spigot may be your lowest valve to drain through,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks