shower valve remodel/replumb, suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

hopskeens

Reaction score
Hey, trying to brainstorm my valve remodel, cpvc throughout the house, installed a shutoff on hot/cold for the time being
1. what is the best way to brace the valve, 2x4 screwed in bw the studs, any tips on backset/depth/leveling placement for valve
2. any ideas on a tub spout install, thinking of going w copper connections, guess I would prefab the bend and fish it up the hole and solder, any way to brace it, prior cpvc wasnt braced and would just wobble
3. other bathroom valve is a moen posi temp w 1222 cartridge I believe, is moen 8370hd similar, any reason to go w a different valve/port setup?

Any other recommendations? Might as well mention I've never done copper, hoping I can figure it out(or should I consider pex/crimping w steep/brass pipe for spout?). Thanks

IMG-5586-1.jpg
Left and right of valve cutout, no access behind shower due to chimney
IMG-5589-1.jpgIMG-5588-1.jpg
Bottom of shower/tub from basement
IMG-5592-1.jpg
Other bathroom valve positemp 1222 I believe, and similar one 8370hd I plan to go w to keep trim and cartridges the same
IMG-5530-1.jpgvalve.jpg

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are dozens of ways to install a valve to an existing tub surround. The simplest way is to install the trim to the valve with the provided thinwall backer plate and have the tub support it while you make the water connections. Or cross brace with wood and frame it up that way. Or they make metal adjustable supports for bracketing to pipe and studs. We do most of our tub/shower units in copper and feed PEX to the valve.

hopskeens

Reaction score
Appreciate the info Tuttles.

Figured I'd slowly respond w my progress in case it would ever help someone, got that sloth pace going, installed the 2x4 support. Tested the tub spout run w an 18" pipe, seems to be just right, ordering a 18" brass nipple, elbow, and sioux 614-8L, and think I'll just stick w cpvc for others.
IMG-5647 (1).jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Keep after it , I wouldnt walk away like Breplum said , but didnt understand issues or pics that clearly to offer a solution. looks like a tough one though

hopskeens

Reaction score
Took me forever to align the valve, props to the folks that do this for a living, ended up removing the pvc shower elbow and going w brass, may add some pipe support for the basement
IMG-5689.jpgIMG-5717.jpgIMG-5714.jpgIMG-5747.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Took me forever to align the valve, props to the folks that do this for a living, ended up removing the pvc shower elbow and going w brass, may add some pipe support for the basement
View attachment 93059View attachment 93060View attachment 93061View attachment 93062
yea it does and dont have to catch complaints by a Licsenced Plumber , just let him take a hike and DIY! Good Job probebly saved thousands of dollars too! we arent always indespenciple not everyone is helpless

hopskeens

Reaction score
Appreciate it Tuttles and Jeff, bw this and the toilet learned alot, and surely couldnt have done it without the info from posts on this forum, and input from folks like yall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks