Users who are viewing this thread

kerry ann

Reaction score
Sorry if this question has already been asked. I am a homeowner, not a plumber, but I am responsible for acquiring all my materials. "I" am building a walk in shower, with a shower head and a hand held shower only. I purchased a kohler shower head kit on clearance at a big box store. It is for a tub to shower remodel.
As I stated, I will be building a walk in shower.
Inside the box is provided a valve body. Kohler Type P, 1016. It is a diverter for the tub faucet to the shower head. It does have hot and cold water input. It's shaped like a cross, 2 inputs (on the sides, Hot and Cold) and 2 outputs (top and bottom, tub and shower head).
My question is, can I give this to my plumber to use as the diverter for the shower head to the hand shower? Would it then need to be "rigged" (maybe installed upside down? more pressure to shower head than hand shower? I dunno. sorry) I think it could save me money to use this valve, but I only want to do it if it is often done, and it can be done well. (not rigged).
also, is there anything special to note about using the valve in this way?
Finally, I will also need a different valve to turn the shower on and off, and to mix the hot and cold, correct?
thank you so much for the information!! Greatly appreciated!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Yo have the valve to turn the shower on and off. You can connect the "tub" opening to the shower head and the hand held to the "shower" opening. When you turn the valve on the water will flow from the shower head until you operate the diverter and change it to the hand held. Depending on the construction of the shower head, you MAY have some water discharging from the hand held. If this would be objectionable, then you need a two way diverter to change from one to the other, and the built in diverter would be useless.

kerry ann

Reaction score
ok! so, I need to get the proper valve, as this is NOT the right tool for the job, correct!? Thanks for your answer!

XTN

Reaction score
I have a Rite Temp valve without any diverter. The bottom outlet is 'on' by default and goes to the tubspout which, when capped (manually) sends the water up into the upper outlet. I do believe the tub has a 5 GPM spec, so I see where you're going with the pressure.

My amateur advice would be to follow your instinct but don't invert the valve as it will be wonky. Personally I'd have the shower on while the hot water arrives and then divert to the handheld when necessary.

If your valve does not have a built in diverter, consider the hydrorail (which does) or a shower arm with one. It feels simplier that way. Of course if you have a lever built into the valve then by all means leave it. Either shower device will regulate the rate of flow.

For me, I want all three (tub, head, hand) and am saving up for the hydrorail because it's just perfect in theory.

If you go with an auxiliary diverter, cap off the lower output on the valve (my rite temp 304 provided one).

Or just put an inline one on whatever you hook to the tub outlet. As this will have to be stymied to get the water to flow the other way.

Also, I think you could invert the scald valve if you invert the whole valve. I did this once and hoy was cold and vice versa. I think. Don't quote me.

It I'm assuming you have something like the 11748 valve and it appears there's no flow difference up or down, so set it and forget it.

Now I have to figure where to get mine chromed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks