Shower Valve Leak? Unsure of how to diagnose the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

FirstTimeDIY

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

First time DIYer, trying to give it a honest go at a self-repair!
The shower has been leaking for a little bit with a slow but consistent drip through the tub spout. After some reading and videos online, figured it was probably the cartridge that required a possible replacement/fix. Subtly impressed myself by accomplishing the disassembly but I was surprised to find a slow but seemingly unending drip of water coming out of the cold supply side even with both water shutoff valves in the off position.

Fortunately there's no water leaking behind the walls and it seems that it's all just being directed down to the tub spout so there's no hidden damage taking place. I'm wondering if this leak is normal and will be fixed with a new cartridge in place or if it's an issue with the shower valve itself?

I've take a quick video of the situation. It's a Delta 1400 series single handle faucet.
Google Drive - Video

Appreciate everyone's patience with my beginner questions and thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice!

Best,
Billy

Bigealta

Reaction score
The washer in your cold and/ or hot shut off valve is most likely bad, dirty or corroded, That's why its dripping with the shower mixing valve removed.

Last edited:

Bigealta

Reaction score
And new mixing valve cartridge should stop the leak assuming your valve body is clean, not corroded or scratched up. Think about it, The water pressure is always on to the shower mixing valve, when your supply line shutoffs are on. (which they always are).

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you aren't clear if you are talking about the shut off valves (integral stops) underneath the cover plate . because you said they don't shut water off completely which sounds like a additional issue please clear it up

FirstTimeDIY

Reaction score
you arent clear if you are talking about the shut off valves (integral stops) underneath the cover plate . because you said they dont shut water off completely which sounds like a additional issue please clear it up
Hi Jeff,

Sorry for being unclear. I had meant that I had shutoff both cold and hot water to the whole unit. I didn't touch the integral stops that are on the valve. In fact I didn't even know that there were those stops on these valves but upon closer inspection of the video it does appear that they exist to the right and left of the valve.

Hope I'm being a bit clearer this time in my communication.
Thank you

FirstTimeDIY

Reaction score
The washer in your cold and/ or hot shut off valve is most likely bad, dirty or corroded, That's why its dripping with the shower mixing valve removed.
Hi Bigealta,

Thanks for the response. I apologize if I'm asking the most rudimentary of questions.

I'm a bit confused as to where the washer that you're mentioning as the potential issue would be located. Is that washer supposed to be present somewhere on the shower valve or is it on the shutoff valve handle itself? To be clear, since it's been pointed out that I haven't been so far, when i say shut off valve I mean the controls to the water for the entire housing unit.

The picture below looks to be a pretty good representation of what I have in my shower right now. If you could point out where I should be looking to inspect the washer that would be appreciated!

In any case, it's reassuring to hear that the dripping should be fixed with the replacement of a new cartridge. The valve body doesn't look to be in too bad of a shape or anything so fingers crossed!

1665123818365.png

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a pro. I am assuming you have some shut off valves on the hot and cold lines going to (but separate from) the showers valve. If you have water continuously dribbling out, they are likely letting water pass. If it is a compression style valve, it is likely the washer. You may be able to replace the washer; however, if you mess with them you may end up needing to replace the shutoff valves, which is fine if yo are up for doing that.

Bigealta

Reaction score
I am not a pro. I am assuming you have some shut off valves on the hot and cold lines going to (but separate from) the showers valve. If you have water continuously dribbling out, they are likely letting water pass. If it is a compression style valve, it is likely the washer. You may be able to replace the washer; however, if you mess with them you may end up needing to replace the shutoff valves, which is fine if yo are up for doing that.
Yes this is also what i assumed and was talking about. I assumed your shut off valves are separate from the valve. Like in the basement or anywhere before the shower valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks