Shower valve diverts little water to shower head

Users who are viewing this thread

Thad

Reaction score
Brand new owner of a 1979 house in Florida. I have changed valves on plumbing in the past. This one baffles me. When the valve is filly open, only ~20% of the water comes out the shower head. So I remove the handle and the grommet. The brass piece in the back is TIGHT that I wonder if that hex piece (in the back) can actually be turned. Aside from WD-40, any hints on how to get it loose without breaking anything else. I should be able to loosen it, right?

Attachments

• IMG_7184.jpg
    IMG_7184.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 138

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Put the hex nut back in place so you do not damage (crush) the female fitting then buy a socket remover
Looks like Gerber

Thad

Reaction score
Yes. I re-assembled and managed to remove the divert valve with some WD40. I found a replacement valve. However, I still have the same result (minimal shower water) with the new valve. The new valve has 2 additional white seals, but the extra seals don't seem to help any to divert all the water to the shower head. I removed the shower head in case there was blockage there. Now, about 40% of the water goes through the shower pipe with the divert valve trying to shower at 100%.

Attachments

• IMG_7190.jpg
    IMG_7190.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_7189.jpg
    IMG_7189.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_7188.jpg
    IMG_7188.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 131

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The loose white washer on the diverter is what helps to divert water upward. At least for Price Phister three handle faucets.

pp_three_handle_stems.jpg

Last edited:

Thad

Reaction score
@Terry , I clamped the smaller white washer by snugging the valve before I inserted it. I centered it as much as I could. This seems like an unusual design unless the white washer against another surface. The larger washer was placed on the seating surface. Please see attached picture for the new valve that was installed. Both white washers were not present when the old valve was removed.

@Sylvan I removed the shower head completely, but I have not run a snake down the shower pipe.

UPDATE: Now that I know the terms to search, I found another thread that had a similar experience. I will obtain a second nylon washer (or thicker one)

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....x-the-price-pfister-bath-diverter-stem.44702/

Attachments

• Valve.jpg
    Valve.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks