Shower/tub valve testing

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
When you’re testing your tub/shower valve for leaks is it a good idea to leave the tub on for a day - capped - ie a long period of time) and the shower on for the next day - capped- to see if all the fittings are good or is this unnecessary/unwise even? Or should I just check them quick while they’re capped with water turned back on, valves open etc and if they don’t leak they’re good?

The reason this question came up is just general nervousness for my first shower valve want to be sure it’s not going to leak, and second I was told with pipe threads if you have to back them out a hair to fix the alignment on your drop ear at the tub or shower that you just need to start over (my valve has female threaded ports). I did that with my tub and it was a very minute turn less than a 32nd reverse rotation my guess... but even if it was more say an 1/8th turn, with dope and tape is it necessary to remove it and do the joint again?

I did test it and there are no leaks FYI.
Thanks for the help

DEE9DFD2-C833-4CDB-A986-A67B0448D3FB.jpeg

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not exactly an answer to your question, but if the shower valve is the type intended to be used with a tub spout diverter, then there's no need for separate tests for the tub and the shower. With both outlets capped, and the shower valve pressurized (any stops open), both outlets will be pressurized, so all the joints are tested at once.

Cheers, Wayne

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
Not exactly an answer to your question, but if the shower valve is the type intended to be used with a tub spout diverter, then there's no need for separate tests for the tub and the shower. With both outlets capped, and the shower valve pressurized (any stops open), both outlets will be pressurized, so all the joints are tested at once.

Cheers, Wayne

568118BD-8391-4F21-A90A-DB15C13B743D.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks