Shower & Tub Rough Valve - What length for Threaded Pipe for Spout?

Users who are viewing this thread

cloves

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Currently installing a Phister 0x8 shower and tub valve. I am also using a Phister universal trim kit. With this trim kit I can use either copper or threaded pipe as it comes with adapters.

I was going to use a brass threaded pipe (both ends) on the 90 drop ear. I can't seem to find an answer to what the length of the threaded pipe should be. The instructions from Phister don't give a length. Is using the threaded pipe version the best bet? I attached a picture of the page with the 3 options from the instructions.

Attachments

• Tub Spout Tube.jpg
    Tub Spout Tube.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 13,225

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The length is determined by how far in the wall the drop ear ell is and how far it has to stick out for the spout thread. There is no "recommended" length. It is determined by measuring WHEN you get ready to install the spout. You will probably have better luck using two brass nipples and a brass coupling, rather than a single brass nipple.

Asktom

Reaction score
Assuming the wall is open, you can use a galvanized nipple long enough to poke out of the wall for now, and switch to brass when you put on the trim. You will be able to get a measurement at that time.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why not use two threaded adapters with a copper pipe cut to the exact length you need sweated into the adapters?

Bill Shack

30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector
Reaction score
I always installed a piece of copper about six inches long with a male adapter solder on to it, then tightened on the the connection inside the wall which was a drop ear male x female 90. This covered all the bases i could unscrew and go with thread nipples or slip on or any other thing that might come. I learned that customer will change their minds and could leave you up the creek.

Asktom

Reaction score
A brass nipple (or two of them and a coupling for more adjustment) is the strongest and least apt to cause complications in the future if the length needs to be changed. The two male adapters and a chunk of copper will probably save you a trip(s) to the store to get the correct nipple(s). One male adapter and a piece of copper and a slip-fit spout is the easiest way. I like brass nipples because you don't have to hope the male adapter in the wall unscrews before the solder joint comes apart if it ever needs to be removed. Some folks use a CC drop ear 90 and a slip fit spout but, coming from the world of repair plumbing, I find that "wham bam".

cloves

Reaction score
A brass nipple (or two of them and a coupling for more adjustment) is the strongest and least apt to cause complications in the future if the length needs to be changed. The two male adapters and a chunk of copper will probably save you a trip(s) to the store to get the correct nipple(s). One male adapter and a piece of copper and a slip-fit spout is the easiest way. I like brass nipples because you don't have to hope the male adapter in the wall unscrews before the solder joint comes apart if it ever needs to be removed. Some folks use a CC drop ear 90 and a slip fit spout but, coming from the world of repair plumbing, I find that "wham bam".

THanks for all the replies so far guys!

asktom, your setup sounds interesting. Any chance you have a photo floating around?

Assuming the big box store is going to carry the brass double threaded pipes right? I didn't see at home depot last time I went.

cloves

Reaction score
So I have been working on trying to get this to work today. I went to the big box store and picked up 2 brass 1/2 pipes, one at four inches and one at 6 inches. With the extension in the kit I was able to get the bath tub spout to align with what my finished wall would look like. But its so hit or miss because when you spin and are aligned perfectly up and down, you may not be touching the tiling.

Seems very challenging and I am considering just getting the copper male end and soldering it onto a piece of pipe a few inches long and using step labeled number 13. The spout gets a plastic cartridge inserted. Then the cartridge and spout get pushed onto the copper stub pipe. There is an o-ring that tightens over the copper pipe. This is what you guys referred to as "slip-fit" right?

Any pros and cons to going for step 13? I think this is what Bill is referring.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I didn't see at home depot last time I went.

You did not look in the right place. They are on the rack with all the copper compression fittings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks