Shower tub install in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Pennwd

Reaction score
Hello all- my basement was roughed in for a full bathroom. My shower and overflow drain is a single pipe that I need to add a T-connection to run under the tub for the shower drain and continue up to connect to the overflow.

My question: I need to raise the tub to be able to get the drain connection under it, but if I do that I will have about a 2-inch gap from the floor to the tub. How do I cover that gap? Or do I need to break open the concrete and put the connection below the floor? If I do this what do I put in the opening to prevent bugs from entering the house under the tub?

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

I can't figure out what you have going on here...
"...shower and overflow drain is a single pipe..." ????? Do you have a shower stall AND a tub and 1 pipe? Is the pipe horizontal? Is it vented? What size is it? Where exactly is it? Below the concrete? How far away from the shower and/or tub is it?
"...need to add a T-connection to run under the tub for the shower drain and continue up to connect to the overflow..." Huh?????

However, something is not right....
If your basement was roughed in for a full bath, you shouldn't be going through this unless you framed out the bathroom differently than the rough-in was done (in which case you almost always need to remove concrete and move drainage/vent/trap arm lines). There are restrictions on how far a trap can be located from its vent. Every fixture must have a trap and be vented. You cannot use a tee in the horizontal. If you have both a tub and a shower, you cannot hook both to this line if it is a trap arm (which it probably is).

Deb
The Pipewench

Pennwd

Reaction score
Sorry, I think I may have lost everyone with the description. But I found the answer. I have to go into the slab. The drain for the tub/shower unit has a thin layer of cement over it.

Thanks

DWClark

Reaction score
Rough In

Pennwd said:
Sorry, I think I may have lost everyone with the description. But I found the answer. I have to go into the slab. The drain for the tub/shower unit has a thin layer of cement over it.

Thanks

I have similar situation ..How thick is this layer of cement .. I chipped a little away around the tub drain PVC ..but seems pretty solid ..

I'm 2nd owner of house that was built in Sep 2001 and basement roughed in for full bath ...getting ready to complete semi-finished walk out basement

-darryl

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks