Shower+tub combo: copper to tub spout?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dan

Reaction score
i am putting in new water piping for my tub+shower combo. the cold water and hot water will be pex and will run into the rough.

delta multichoice rough
delta tub and shower trim: Monitor 17 Series Trinsic

given my research, seems PEX isn't a good choice to use for the connection between the tub spout and shower rough because:

- directions (installation pdf) state not to use pex for the tub spout connection (screenshot)
- pex diameter is smaller, which will cause pressure to build and water to come out of the shower head (reference #1, #2)

PEX piping for the input water to the shower rough
PEX piping for the shower rough to the shower head
Copper piping for shower rough to tub spout

my questions are:

(1) can i use PEX from shower rough to shower head?
(2) using copper piping, i noticed the valve has threaded male for the tub, can i use female threaded adapter?

if i use the 1/2" female threaded adapter means if i screw up soldering the copper pipe, i can try again

my plan for the tub spout is to use:
shower rough --> 1/2" female threaded adapter --> copper m pipe --> 90-degree drop ear

does this work?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It depends on which tub spout you have from Delta.
I like the one with the adapter for IP which I do with a brass nipple.
And yes, no PEX to spout. It must be full sized piping.

delta-lahara-06.jpg

Dan

Reaction score
It depends on which tub spout you have from Delta.

frustrating since the documentation for our trim doesn't include specifications for the spout. but i followed up to look up the part Delta RP73371, the description states: Slip-on spout for ½ in. C.W.T. (i assume this is generic, 1/2" copper water tube)

delta-trinsic-tub-spout-1.jpg

delta-trinsic-tub-spout-2.jpg

delta-trinsic-tub-spout-3.jpg

looks like the tub spout has a 1/2" threaded copper piece. am i right to believe this tub spout + ptfe tape should thread right into 1/2" drop ear?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I do all of them with thread x copper 90 . It straps well and I dont need to have any cares of which spout is going to be installed later (copper/or iron pipe) . if i know for a fact it will be copper tube spout thats great but rare in my world barely worth the time asking as most people to lame to know theres a differance . just gotta have male adapters on hand

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Reaction score
I do all of them with thread x copper 90

do you mean you use a 90-degree copper elbow joint (ie soldered) to make the connection between copper coming 'down' from the shower rough and the copper for the tub spout?

dan-tub-plumbing-01.jpg

instead of threaded drop ear elbow for the tub spout joint like the like the one below?

delta-lahara-06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
pex diameter is smaller, which will cause pressure to build and water to come out of the shower head
Will you use a diverter spout, or will you use a free-flowing spout, and the valve controls whether the water goes to the showerhead or spout? If the valve determines, then the concern about water coming out of the showerhead when filling the tub would not apply.

Your photos show a diverter spout.

Dan

Reaction score
Will you use a diverter spout, or will you use a free-flowing spout, and the valve controls whether the water goes to the showerhead or spout? If the valve determines, then the concern about water coming out of the showerhead when filling the tub would not apply.

Your photos show a diverter spout.

you are correct, the tub spout has a diverter and our valve will not be controlling whether the water comes out of the shower head or spout. i'll have to think about this the next time i re-do a shower

so copper will go down from the shower valve to a drop ear now the question is how can join the delta spout adapter elegantly. i've seen solutions where people put out a copper 'stub' and solder the delta tub spout adapter to that copper stub but that seems sorta 'hackish'. the other solution would be to use steel with 2 threaded ends: one end for the drop ear and the other end for the adapter?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
do you mean you use a 90-degree copper elbow joint (ie soldered) to make the connection between copper coming 'down' from the shower rough and the copper for the tub spout?
instead of threaded drop ear elbow for the tub spout joint like the image terry posted above?
I do it just like the pic Terry posted. UNLESS I happen to know that absolutley positively the tub spout is copper . Because the way Terrys picture shows is versatile I can easily make work regardless of tub spout . A lot of homeowners and general contractors are either too lazy , busy or whatever to provide accurate info in my experiance. and If Im blowing and going trying to get work done I dont want to call a desighner or go to a website I just want an answer so I can build it.
Its cheaper and better to plumb it as it should be . but a minor differance 3 or 4 dollars or 6 bucks a tub adds up but worth the cost to keep going

Dan

Reaction score
I do it just like the pic Terry posted.

great, thanks. i'll do that as well. use drop ears + brass nipple. i know i have an adapter for the delta tub spout but if i get the right length brass nipple, i should be able to make it all fit easily enough

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One of the adapters Delta sells will either solder onto the pipe, or if it's threaded, thread onto it...then, the spout threads onto the adapter. https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts-product-detail?modelNumber=RP12307 This comes with some of their spouts, and not all of them can use it. I think you can solder the 1/2" pipe to the inside of the adapter as well.

Dan

Reaction score
One of the adapters Delta sells will either solder onto the pipe, or if it's threaded, thread onto it...then, the spout threads onto the adapter. https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts-product-detail?modelNumber=RP12307 This comes with some of their spouts, and not all of them can use it. I think you can solder the 1/2" pipe to the inside of the adapter as well.

yes, my tub spout (delta trinsic) does come with that adapter, just picked up the trim package today.

i'm leaning towards using a threaded brass nipple like terry showed in the post above. and having that threaded brass nipple coming out from drop ears rather than soldering it onto a copper pipe or other substrate. i get the impression that there's some 'play' with the distance that the adapter can protrude from the wall to get a good fit with the tub spout.

Reach4

Reaction score
yes, my tub spout (delta trinsic) does come with that adapter, just picked up the trim package today.

i'm leaning towards using a threaded brass nipple like terry showed in the post above. and having that threaded brass nipple coming out from drop ears rather than soldering it onto a copper pipe or other substrate. i get the impression that there's some 'play' with the distance that the adapter can protrude from the wall to get a good fit with the tub spout.
If I had the choice, I would solder but secure that copper elbow well. Getting the right length of brass nipple is more of a chore than just soldering on the adapter, and cutting the excess pipe. If you solder, remove the o-ring while soldering.

Last edited:

Dan

Reaction score
If I had the choice, I would solder but secure that copper elbow well. Getting the right length of brass nipple is more of a chore than just soldering on the adapter, and cutting the excess pipe. If you solder, remove the o-ring while soldering.

I see the Delta Trinsics come with the RP33794 adapter, rather than RP12307 Adapter that my Delta faucet came with. I don't know the required range of dimensions for that adapter. I think your adapter mounts much closer to the wall, and may not have the range of acceptable dimensions.

i haven't ever done it so it does sound like a chorse. i'll have a torch and all that for the copper soldering so i could just do it the way you're describing.

could i just get a brass nipple threaded the entire length and after tile/drywall, dry fit to find length? or have a threading tool and thread after cutting to length? does seem like more work but this minimizes the number of times i solder copper joints/connections (since i haven't ever done it before)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I remember correctly (check the installation instructions), there's about an inch of leeway on the ultimate position of the adapter. The O-ring seals the spout, so you thread the spout on and keep going until it's tight to the wall. It it's within the min/max, it will work. A threaded adapter on both ends is a lot less forgiving.

Dan

Reaction score
If I remember correctly (check the installation instructions), there's about an inch of leeway on the ultimate position of the adapter. The O-ring seals the spout, so you thread the spout on and keep going until it's tight to the wall. It it's within the min/max, it will work. A threaded adapter on both ends is a lot less forgiving.

got it, i figured there's some play with the o-ring placement but perhaps not as much as i am thinking.

https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts-product-detail?modelNumber=RP73371 says it comes with the RP33794 adapter. Dan, does your adapter have a set screw?

yikes sharp eyes, i missed that. yes, the threaded adapter does have a set screw. is that set screw strong enough to hold it in place without soldering? if so, then i think that's the easiest option.

delta-tub-spout-adapter.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
got it, i figured there's some play with the o-ring placement but perhaps not as much as i am thinking.

yikes sharp eyes, i missed that. yes, the threaded adapter does have a set screw . is that set screw strong enough to hold it in place without soldering? if so, then i think that's the easiest option.
Should not be a problem. I would avoid type M (red ink) copper pipe for this, but even that probably works ok with the setscrew.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks