Shower tray drain isn't centered

Users who are viewing this thread

Kindbom

Reaction score
I'm installing a preformed shower tray on a concrete slab. The drain pipe coming up fits in the hole of the shower base, but it's not centered. I can push the pipe to the center, but then it's not completely plumb. I was planning to use a brass no caulk shower drain. My question is: if I install the no caulk drain as is, will the few degrees that my pipe would be angled at cause any problems? The tray hasn't been installed yet, but I can move it back any further because of the walls.

Attachments

• IMG_3687.JPG
    IMG_3687.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 908

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I worked on a similar set up last week, except it was a second floor shower. The new shower base "center" hole was off by 1". I centered the drain by removing the old P trap and installing a new one to meet the new hole - but I had some room to work in.

The drain riser has to be in the center of the hole for the rubber gasket to be effective. Forcing the drain riser to the center might exert unnecessary pressure on the P trap to create possible future leaks.

Do what you can to center the drain riser in the hole, including breaking the concrete to re-route the P trap, if necessary.

Kindbom

Reaction score
Thanks. I had figured that was the case, but hoped I was overthinking it. I saw there are offset ABS shower drains. Are these worth looking into, or should I just bite the bullet and dig up and replace the trap?

Attachments

• IMG_3688.PNG
    IMG_3688.PNG
    166.4 KB · Views: 770

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks