Shower Stems & Handles

Users who are viewing this thread

Nancy Culhane

Reaction score
Just replaced my Eljer shower stems & bought Eljer style handles. One handle is a bit loose. I'm trying to avoid
the new stem being stripped (universal handles stripped the previous ones) & was wondering if applying a bit of pipe thread compound would keep them stable. I'm concerned that the handles would then be difficult to remove for maintenance. Any suggestions, anyone found a good universal handle? thanks

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
just glue them or use caulk . And fix it right next time, if you don't want to now

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sounds like there is something wrong with either the handle or the stem. If you put the handle from the good side on the loose side is there still a problem? You might need to replace the handle, which is more apt to be the problem than the stem.

Nancy Culhane

Reaction score
It's definitely the handle that is a bit bigger than it should be. I wanted to make due with the new handles, which is why I was thinking of teflon tape to fill in the gap. Today, I was able to find different supplier & ordered another set. Hopefully these will be a good fit. Thanks for your help.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
thought they were stripped out just a little loose Teflon tape might help .

Nancy Culhane

Reaction score
The old stems were stripped. I replaced the stems & bought new Eljer style handles. The new handles are not a snug fit.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
well try your Teflon tape it might help it takes 3 minutes and is easy. or take handles back and get another brand its probably aftermarket and not genuine stems or handles

Nancy Culhane

Reaction score
I spoke with the manufacturer of the handles, finally. I was told to use Teflon tape. And yes both the stems & handles were aftermarket. Thanks for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks