Shower Stem/ Can't Remove It / It Is Stuck

Users who are viewing this thread

SLATON

Reaction score
My Shower Faucet Has The Old Three Handle (hot, Cold And The Center Is The Water Flow Diverter From Tub To Shower.) There Is As Much Water Coming Out Of The Tub Faucet As There Is Out Of The Shower Head. I Assume It Just Needs New O Rings On The Stem. After Removing The Handle I Am Unable To Remove The Stem. I Have Taken The Nut Off But The Stem Is Stuck. Do You Have Any Suggestions? Being Very Frustrated I Thought About A Very Big Hammer But Decided Better Of It Since I Didn't Want To Retile The Entire Bath.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First, the nut you removed is probably an outer stem packing nut, and not related to removing the stem You need to turn the larger whole body. Now, be sure to open the diverter part way. Do not try to turn it while it is 2-blocked all the way in or all the way out.

A shower valve socket set will make removal fairly easy.

Once you get it out, be sure to replace the inner seat, and inspect inside the body for broken remnants of a fibre or nylon diverter gasket.

tub-sockets.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't use a hammer. You shouldn't have needed to remove the packing nut to remove the stem. Get a set of plumbing sockets and use the socket that fits over the hex nut that is furthest inside the wall. Use a very large crescent wrench for torque. If it still won't come out, spray the area with PB Blaster and wait a while before trying again.

Attachments

• Plumbing Sockets.jpg
    Plumbing Sockets.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 6,432
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks