Shower sound from downstairs too loud

Users who are viewing this thread

Greenwood

Reaction score
With copper piping, the Copper Institute's recommendation on maximum velocity of the water is 5fps for hot, and 8fps on cold. On a 1/2" pipe, that's only 4gpm on the hot supply. If those numbers are exceeded, you start to get water flow noises and potentially, erosion inside of the pipes. The friction from the higher velocity also causes more friction and the dynamic pressure drops.

Water flow noises could be from various sources:
1. excessive velocity causing turbulence (may require larger pipes to resolve)
2. a partially opened valve with a washer - when worn, the washer can vibrate during some flow rates
2a. a gate valve that is worn that is rattling the gate. Normally not an issue when fully opened or fully closed.
3. on a tub spout, the seal when diverting can vibrate on its seat
4. a mineral clogged shower head
5. probably lots of others

Being there and hearing it might offer a bit more insight. Hard to say from remote.
I think I should discuss about these possible reasons with the plumber next time he comes. Thank you!

This is a big headache as it involves the downstairs neighbors, the HOA and the plumbing company. I can't always let my downstairs neighbor take leave from work time and time again. :(

Reach4

Reaction score
Is your building by chance one of more than one similar buildings? If you compare to similar units, I am thinking you will find that sound in each building, but the other residents are less bothered by it.

The deal is that if the sound were unique to your unit, then you could pursue one type of investigation. But if it is just a consequence of the piping, only changing the piping routing or size is going to help.

Greenwood

Reaction score
Is your building by chance one of more than one similar buildings? If you compare to similar units, I am thinking you will find that sound in each building, but the other residents are less bothered by it.

The deal is that if the sound were unique to your unit, then you could pursue one type of investigation. But if it is just a consequence of the piping, only changing the piping routing or size is going to help.
I asked my next-door neighbor about it and she said she couldn't hear the shower sound from her downstairs neighbor. And It didn't occur to me before either.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
As you are finding out Greenwood sound issues are not that simple easy or cheap. this could be in the thousands to fix are you willing to dig that deep.
Interesting you mentioned and recited codes so exactly who does city say has a responsibility to meet code? is it your neighbors problem or homeowners? or someone's insurance? I don't think you can go back now on builder after 30 years?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The strange thing is you said that it recently changed. So, did you ask your downstairs neighbor what they may have changed recently?

With the water situation there in California, they may have changed their showerhead to a lower-flow one. That normally wouldn't change the sound, at least I've not noticed it, but I suppose it could.

WHat are the characteristics of the sound? A whistle, high or low frequency, a vibration?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
a low flow may actually make it quieter . its funny the lady below doesn't hear the noise

Greenwood

Reaction score
The strange thing is you said that it recently changed. So, did you ask your downstairs neighbor what they may have changed recently?

With the water situation there in California, they may have changed their showerhead to a lower-flow one. That normally wouldn't change the sound, at least I've not noticed it, but I suppose it could.

What are the characteristics of the sound? A whistle, high or low frequency, a vibration?
I would say it is low frequency roaring sound from within the wall. I don't think they changed anything as when I talked with them about the sound, they didn't mention they change anything. If they did, they wouldn't agree to ask plumbers to have a check.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It all sounds to be normal. I don't think there will be a fix for it.
I think its fairly normal as well but I also know we here in ca have to make sure the copper never touches wood using particular strap methods and other things Also according to greenwood the sounds don't meet code standards . There are people that make a living off construction defects I'm not one of them.
Me Personally would want nothing to do with the job I want my client to be happy with me results and hate to guess at opening walls isolating and then hope its satisfactory.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks