Shower Room linear drain recommendation needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Alan Ruff

Reaction score
I'm remodeling our bathroom and the new shower room is 6' x 4'. I am installing 2 shower stations. The combined GPM flow rate of the shower heads is 13.4 gpm. I would like to install a curbless linear drain at the entrance (4') to the shower. Are there linear drain manufacturers that make products that will work in this application. Appreciate your recommendations.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might want to consider two drains, one at the door as a backup and the other on the far wall. You will also need to be careful of the grate design, as some of them, depending on the shape and alignment of the cutouts, can result in a bridging effect for the water to pass over them under some installations. I'm not a fan of sloping your shower towards the room, but rather into the shower, which dictates where the primary drain needs to be. Placing the drain at the outlet of the shower area does have advantages since you may not need to build up the room height as much since the rest of the shower would slope up away from the drain, though. You might want to consider a tile-in drain cover since there is less opportunity for water to bridge over it. This article may help in evaluating whether any drain design would meet your needs: http://www.mifab.com/Catalog/Library/f-selection-guide.pdf . I do not know if the code might require a 3" drain for that water volume, and that could limit your choices. 3" drain outlets are available in most center drains, but not too many linear drains, but some can be custom ordered. They tend to be fairly expensive - many multiples the cost of a center drain assembly, with the tile-in drain cover the least expensive visible piece (depending on what tile you are using!).

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
.....Are there linear drain manufacturers that make products that will work in this application. .....

Yes. Many Company's make drains that will do the job.

I would guess you should order a 3" drain line or one drain with Two 2" outlets. ACO custom makes the double outlet for any of their linear drains.

You could get creative with two drains side by side.

But your design to start with is not the safest. I don't like the drain at the entry so much. I try and avoid it.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
12906-quartz-by-aco-linear-shower-drains-u900019c3908027d634014871325772279_red_flip_flops_cropjpg.jpg

The ACO Flag grate. My wife's favourite grate style. Many of the design shots that showcase these great drains show really crappy installs in my opinion. The soap in this photo no doubt added by the photo team for effect.

When you plan on your tiling you should alway plan the tile to be roughly 1/16"- 1/8" higher than the edge of the drain. The tile should get a little micro bevel to help soap fall into the drain.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
After installing Noble freestyle drains , Laticretes hydroban, and quick drains, I have formed A new opinion that an ACO and a noble divot/clamp pan may be the best way to go. Thinbed or not .

I find the jaeger flashings on Quick drains to be too thin and like kerdi material A gamble For the FLOOD TESTING installer like John, Roberto and myself...Its like holding a hot potato when you think of flood testing it.
I will say their adhesive method to connect flashing is unexplainably tough to remove.

A pinhole leak is like a needle in A haystack.

be careful and flood test your work.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
After installing Noble freestyle drains , Laticretes hydroban, and quick drains, I have formed A new opinion that an ACO and a noble divot/clamp pan may be the best way to go. Thinbed or not .......

Yes

YEs

YES

My voodoo curse has finally worked on you. lol

Now - I will mention this. You can build a Noble Showerpan without the Divot Flashing.... Just saying.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks