Shower Rise with no PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

kos

Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping you all could help me track down an issue I am having with a shower conversion in our 1950 cottage. We have a tub in our upstairs master bedroom that I am converting into a shower/tub combo. I am working with the existing fixtures and have removed the shower plug and extended a 1/2 inch copper feed to the shower arm. I thought that I was all good to go but I am getting water out of both the shower and the diverter when both faucets are on. Individually it is okay and if I remove the diverter it is good. I have checked for blockage and seem to be good there also. If anyone could point me to anything else that I could be checking I would really appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

20130628_165028.jpg

Apologies, not sure why this is posting horizontal.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There may be enough rust in the galvanized nipples and elbow that it's backing up to the showerhead. A typical shower valve has some internal flow limiting - with two valves that can probably open fully to the supply, it may never work right since you're overwhelming the outlet with more volume than it can accept. You might want to try changing those to brass or copper, but it probably won't fix it. You may need to add a shutoff valve on the riser. On a totally different tack, though, you really should consider replacing that old valve set with a new, code approved anti-scald valve. That was okay when used for the tub only, but does not meet code when you change things to a tub/shower.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

The valve is a tub ONLY valve so it does not have a restrictor in it. That was NOT a shower opening, it was an alternate spout connection if the water lines came down from the ceiling. You need a "twin ell" to replace the spout's elbow. It will come with a 3/4 thread diverter spout.

kos

Reaction score
Much appreciated guys. Always great info here. I am going to look at updating the valve.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A twin-el has two, differently sized outlet ports - the bigger one goes to the spout and the smaller one to the showerhead. That difference in size plus the head (height) of the shower riser is usually enough to prevent water from rising in the pipe far enough to drip or spray out the head. IT still may not work for the valve you have, but at least you'd have a good shot.

kos

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will give the twin-el a shot and see what happens. If it doesn't work I will look at replacing the whole valve. Again, thanks for taking the time to point me in the right direction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks