Shower remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Russ13

Reaction score
I'm changing a shower, fiberglass, insert to a tiled shower. I'm expanding the shower around 3" wider so I have to move the 1 1/2" stack that is "inline" with the shower drain( around 2/3 feet from the shower drain). The stack is in the wall where the shower supply line is located. My question is this. The previous PVC shower drain was all 1 1/2" line. I'm finding that it needs to be or is "supposed" to be 2" line. It does eventually dump to a 2" drain(around 4/5 feet away from the drain). I could put about 2 to 2 1/2 feet of 2" PVC(ptrap to straight pipe) and then reduce down to the 1 1/2" pipe, right before the stack, and then it will go back to the 2" straight pipe, eventually out to the 3" main. So that would give me only around a foot to a 1 1/2' of inch and one half of PVC from the drain. I really want the full length to be 2" but the joist/ HVAC hard ducting location makes it almost impossible because the 2" fittings are larger/longer than the 1 1/2" fittings. Do you think this is doable or should I just leave it as it was before(1 1/2" PVC the whole way)?? Thanks for any help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When I encounter a 1.5" shower drain I leave it that size.
I will use a 1.5" p-trap with a 2.0" x 1.5" reducer above the p-trap for the 2" shower drain.
Most shower heads are restricted to 2.5 GPM or less.
A tub uses a 1.5" trap and trap arm. Not current US code, but it works.

pvc-dwv-reducer.jpg

Russ13

Reaction score
When I encounter a 1.5" shower drain I leave it that size.
I will use a 1.5" p-trap with a 2.0" x 1.5" reducer above the p-trap for the 2" shower drain.
Most shower heads are restricted to 2.5 GPM or less.
A tub uses a 1.5" trap and trap arm. Not current US code, but it works.

View attachment 60864
Thanks, Terry! I was reading some of the forums where they have reduced a 2" to 1 1/2" because they couldn't get to that area to make it ALL 2" to the main. They said it would make a "dam" and cause issues later on, because of hair and what not clogging up the reduced area, so it makes since to just leave it at 1 1/2" all the way since that was the way it was before. We will have a "in ceiling" rain head and probably another shower head and "maybe" an hand held sprayer.
ShowerHead.png

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can only increase your drain pipe going in the direction of the drain flow, not reduce it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I always start with 2" at the drain and reduce on the vertical, like a funnel. We're talking two inches.
I can see how some really have a hard time with a 2" funnel that is 2" long going into a 1.5" vertical.
So...........you're really running a 1.5" into your 2" drain?

Russ13

Reaction score
I always start with 2" at the drain and reduce on the vertical, like a funnel. We're talking two inches.
I can see how some really have a hard time with a 2" funnel that is 2" long going into a 1.5" vertical.
So...........you're really running a 1.5" into your 2" drain?
Good news! I've figured out a way to be able to run all 2" drain line from shower to the main. I'm having to remove hard HVAC duct to be able to place the drain where I need. It's okay because it's just a feed to the unfinished basement that I can move later on with, possibly, flex ducting. Just waiting on a 2"x 2"x 1 1/2" sanitary tee for the stack.

Russ13

Reaction score
Good news! I've figured out a way to be able to run all 2" drain line from shower to the main. I'm having to remove hard HVAC duct to be able to place the drain where I need. It's okay because it's just a feed to the unfinished basement that I can move later on with, possibly, flex ducting. Just waiting on a 2"x 2"x 1 1/2" sanitary tee for the stack.

Attachments

• ShowerDrain.1jpg.jpg
    ShowerDrain.1jpg.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 157
  • ShowerDrain.jpg
    ShowerDrain.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 163
  • ShowerPreSlope.jpg
    ShowerPreSlope.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 146

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The p-trap should be solvent weld (glued)
If you can swing the swivel, you can lose the 90.
If you need to angle over, a 45 is always much better. At some point you will need to snake the drain and the less change of direction the better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks