Shower pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Edw

Reaction score
Replaced washer on shower divertor. Was very bad. Re tried and pressure is still low. Lot of water coming from faucet when shower is selected. Water from faucet is very good. Old home.. 60's genre. Could the shower pipe be scaled? Had the idea of pouring clr down pipe and letting it work for awhile. Thoughts. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Can you take the shower head off and turn on the shower?

Edw

Reaction score
Yes did all that. Removed regulator from water pic. If I cup my hand over faucet, pressure at shower head is great.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes did all that. Removed regulator from water pic. If I cup my hand over faucet, pressure at shower head is great.

When you say diverter, are you referring to one of these?
mo6Vh_umF8zYiJX0v7jiPBA.jpg
If so, you would do well to select a better such diverter.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Water will go the path of least resistance, and if the diverter isn't sealing well, a good portion of that is just coming out the spout. Buy a better diverter spout! A showerhead has internal flow restriction, but only gives its optimum performance if it gets all of the water it wants. Lots coming out the spout, means lower volume and therefore lower pressure out the showerhead. Personally, I've had good luck with the Delta pull-down diverter spouts. Only issue with those, is that you may have to tell guests how to turn it on!

Edw

Reaction score
Yes..older style. Valve in wall, not on spout. Turn handle clockwise < center >. This allows water to shower head. Placed new washer, still does not allow h20 to shower head.

Reach4

Reaction score
Clearly if the problem was a restriction in the shower pipe, you could not say "If I cup my hand over faucet, pressure at shower head is great."

If you want to fix your separate diverter unit, post pictures of what you can. I won't know your diverter, but somebody might.

If you want to work around the problem and get the same great pressure that you got by using your hand, install a Delta RP17454 in place of your current spout.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A properly rebuilt diverter valve should be more like a switch with no leaking to the opposite port.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A properly rebuilt diverter valve should be more like a switch with no leaking to the opposite port. If yours leaks that much, if you can't fix it, it sounds like there's enough of a bypass where you could get a diverter spout to work.

The alternative would be to update the valve to one with today's safety features (primarily anti-scald) tech, easily available parts, and some have a diverter, but many rely on one in the tub spout. THey make remodel (sometimes called renovation) plates to cover the hole required to update the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks