Shower pressure suddenly lower one day

Users who are viewing this thread

Long Con

Reaction score
My shower has always had pretty good pressure, but yesterday I took a shower, and the pressure was maybe half what it used to be. It was like someone was running water somewhere else in the house, but that was not the case. Same thing in today's shower.

I looked at the water meter, and there's no activity there, no water running.

What can I do to assess and fix the pressure problem?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would check the shower head if the pressure hasn't changed anywhere else.
Some shower heads have rubber outlets that you can rub with your hand to clean. It's worth a try at least.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some shower valves also have screen inlet filters to block any solid crud from jamming up the cartridge. Same in the showerhead. You might just remove the showerhead and check. While it is off, turn the water on to check the stream. If it is strong there, then it's in the head, if not, it's somewhere before.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Has any other work been done in the home in another location?

Careful removing the shower head and ensure you don't stress the fitting inside the wall. Wrapping the shower arm with a piece of soft rubber or canvas will protect it from getting scratched by channel locks or vice grips.

Good Luck

Long Con

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Today, it has somehow returned to normal, without my intervention. Go figure! *shrug*

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Sounds like the "Tile Fairy" is up to no good...

This could be the result of a small gunk of "Crap" in your mixing valve or shower head fixture.

JW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks