Shower Pressure Issue/PLEASE HELP

Users who are viewing this thread

mrshikadance2000

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently had my bathrooms remodeled and also did copper repiping. I have back to back bathrooms (one bathroom has tub/shower and other just has shower). I've noticed the tub/shower has more pressure than the shower only. Is this normal? I'm fearful that there may be a small leak which is causing less pressure for the shower only bathroom (note, pressure for the sinks in both bathrooms are the same).

thanks for your help/advice.

mrshikadance2000

Reaction score
Sorry for the ambiguity. I was comparing Showerhead to Showerheard pressure. I have installed the moen TS374 in the bathroom with tub/shower, and the TS372 (same exact model, but shower only). I've read the specs for both, and both have a 2.5 gallon restricter for showering, but the tub/shower bath delivers greater pressure than the shower only, which leads me to thinking that the shower only is delivering less than 2.5 gallons.

http://showhouse.moen.com/catalog/selectfinish.cfm?sku=TS374&ctype=solaceshower

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
There may be some gunk partially blocking the flow in the shower-only head. Take it off and check. Also, see how the pressure is without the shower head.

mrshikadance2000

Reaction score
I checked the shower head last night. no gunk backing it up. Maybe i'll get into the crawl space and see if there is a leak.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are the shower heads identical? There can be a huge difference in apparant flow and pressure between different brands and models of heads.

If you take the heads off and let it run into a bucket for a timed interval, say 1 or two minutes, and then compare how much water comes out of the pipe you'll have an idea of the flow possibilities. But, keep in mind, on the tub/shower, they sometimes put different sized openings off of the valve. If the divertor is external to the valve, you may be taking it from the unrestricted tub side on one, and the restricted shower side on the other. That would affect the flow, but the total pressure should remain the same as the size of the opening should be more than sufficient for the 2.5gpm head.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you're satisfied that there is no leak, you can try to find a higher-flow shower head. Some shower heads actually have a washer that can be removed to increase the flow.

mrshikadance2000

Reaction score
Yes,

The shower heads are identical. This is a stupid question, but is going into the crawl space with a flashlight while the water is running the easiest way to tell if there is a leak?

thanks!

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes,

The shower heads are identical. This is a stupid question, but is going into the crawl space with a flashlight while the water is running the easiest way to tell if there is a leak?

thanks!

Whatever it takes to make a visual inspection of the pipes is the best way. But if the ground is not wet in the crawl space, chances are there is no leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks