Shower Pan?

Users who are viewing this thread

BMWMK2

Reaction score
HI GUYS, I AM LOOKING TO INSTALL A 54" SHOWER PAN WHERE MY TUB USED TO BE. IF I JUST BUY THE PAN AND NOT THE SURROUND AND USE CBU AND THEN TILE IS THAT OK? ALSO HAS ANYONE HEARD OF ANY CONSISTANT PROBLEMS WITH SHOWER PANS LEAKING? AND IS THERE ANYTING I SHOULD KNOW BEFORE I INSTALL IT?

THANKS MIKE

HERE IS THE PAN BUT I AM NOT BUYING THE SURROUND.

Last edited by a moderator:

BMWMK2

Reaction score
Also Is It Going To Create A Venting Problem For The Drain? The Drain Isnt Going To Move Anywhere. I Dont Know If Not Having Any Over Flow Piping Will Make This Problem?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the current tub was installed properly, then changing it out to a shower only has one potential gotcha...code requires a 2" drain line for a shower and only a 1.5" one for a tub. The reasoning is that there is more room for water to accumulate and you've got the overflow on a tub...overflow on a shower can be a big pain!

So, especially if it is going to get inspected, that could be a major problem and require tearing things out. Now, will it work, maybe...no guarantees, and it will not meet code which should be met, regardless if it will work.

Some of those things are sold with a 1.5" drain...they shouldn't even make them, though. Why you can buy them is another story.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Copied from site at your link:

*Standard gauge thickness (.225 mm).

*Drain hole measures 2" wide.

A 2" drain hole won't accommodate a 2" drain; code problem.

It is pretty thin. 0.225 mm is less than 0.009" thick. That's about three sheets of paper.

BMWMK2

Reaction score
Does Any One Know Where To Get A Decent 54" Shower Pan That Will Use A 2" Drain?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you are handy, it really isn't that hard to make a pan and tile it. There are some pre-made pans that can be tiled as well. www.schluter.com has some with their Kerdi system. www.wedi.de has some for their funde (sp?) system. If you want to look into it, go over to www.johnbridge.com - they'll take good care of you there.

Sulconst2

Reaction score
you should just buy a 48" pan and frame the wall in closer. this way the pan can be purchased from a local supply house.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't fully understand that pan, but Swan makes a 54" pan which comes with a standard "no-caulk" drain which works on a 2" pipe. The Swan part number is R3454.

Once you get the drain installed correctly, then do a proper job with your vapor barrier, backer board, and tile.....this shower should be good for 25 years.

Read direction careflully on the pan. The Swan unit is heavy duty, and actully has a structure which does not require a mud base. Other brands of fibreglas are lighter, and require a mud base.

I would stay with 54" if you can. Code in most areas will not allow a sliding bypass door on a 48" shower. You can use fixed panel plus pivot door, but this can be cumbersome in a small room. The 54" does allow sliders, but you will have to special order the size. Not usually stocked.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks