Shower pan slope with a long narrow shower. How to slope pan without being too steep?

Users who are viewing this thread

Scouper

Reaction score
I am remodeling an old shower. thinking about the pan and slope. Stall is 6'6" long, by 33" wide, the drain is 26" from the front of the shower, and a little offset. Idea is to have a shower that does not have a door, just a partition glass that you step up, and walk around and into the shower area. However, if I take the 1/4"/foot drop from the farthest distance from the drain, that means my side slopes from the drain will be very steep, outside the 1/2" per foot max. Any ideas on how to build this pan? Could I have a short flat section, before actual slope starts? Thanks
shower stall.jpg

Scouper

Reaction score
Answering my own question, saw some other similar posts. I think best to reposition the drain. Looking at it I can cut out the plywood on the joists (showing photo before plywood went down, I should have thought about drain position before closing it up! (At one point there were ideas of a door and a smaller enclosure) I can move the drain right, to the center of the 6'6". I can't move the drain quite to the center of the 33", as a joist is in the way, but I think lessening that distance from the long ends the should drop that slope down along the sides to something reasonable....anyways, lmk any other thoughts if you happened to see this.

openfloor.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you could have a flat area that is out of the normal water splash outline.

Scouper

Reaction score
I think you could have a flat area that is out of the normal water splash outline.
Thanks! I like this idea, but yes I worry about splash, don't want to have to squeegee the flat "landing" as it were. I see a lot of showers that don't have a door or curtain in the glamor photos, just a partial glass wall. Looks nice, but I'm always curious as to how much water ends up going everywhere---never seen any real guidelines, obviously people have all kinds of different showerheads/angles/water pressure etc, and all kinds of levels of use. So hard to quantify. I'm thinking probably for this it's best to move the drain to the middle as possible, so that the entire enclosure drains to the center. I can try the partial glass idea, if that's too messy, add a door or curtain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks