Shower pan drain removal help

Users who are viewing this thread

cydown

Reaction score
Hello,
I am in the process of replacing a 2nd Floor Shower pan and am at the step of separating the pan and gasket from the drain pipe. I don't see a rubber gasket to remove as expected and it appears to be an older style (possible lead oakum filled?). Is there a way I can remove it without damaging the pipe? I would like to avoid opening up the ceiling below if possible. The new shower pan I have came with the gasket and indicates that I do not need to have access to the floor below to install it.
Thanks
cydown

DSCF0461-2.jpg

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
That is a lead and oakum joint. Drill a few holes through the lead and pick the remaining lead out to remove the base. Depending on the size of the base they can be very heavy. They can be broken into peaces with a large hammer if need be.

John

Last edited:

cydown

Reaction score
Thanks John. I will give that a shot. Thanks for the heads up on the base weight.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
You do realize that if the new shower pan is not the same size and shape the drain will have to be changed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks