Shower P-Trap sits on Steel Beam?

Users who are viewing this thread

Barlow46

Reaction score
I am remodeling master bath in manufactured housing. Removed garden tub in corner of bathroom and am in process of locating new shower drain (2") in center of area to be new shower floor (tile and using Kerdi-Drain). The new location of the drain puts the bottom of the P-trap directly over a steel beam. This is not a problem regarding height since I am adding an additional 5/8 plywood to existing flooring and will have a minimum of 1 1/2" mud base for the pre-slope. I can still achieve the 1/4" per foot slope. I am concerned that should I ever need access to the P-Trap from underneath the crawlspace I would probably have to use an inside pipe cutter to free the P-trap from the upper shower drain and then slide out the P-trap from the top of the beam. Would this be a major problem or should i move the drain about 4 inches toward the north wall which would result in the drain not being exactly centered in the shower mud base but there would be access underneath. I'm thinking that the only difference between a drain in a cement slab and a drain with crawlspace access is that you have to bust up the shower floor if drain if in cement when there is a problem vs. go under the crawlspace to fix. Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It seems to me that you would be in the same situation as those of us who have a basement tub or shower. The P trap is buried in concrete under the floor. We don't plan to ever access it. If it clogs, we go after the clog through the trap. Just use a PVC or ABS trap that is welded together, not screwed, and d:)on't forget the vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks