Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
No problem with just a showerhead.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why not PEX b? Do you use a?
It's just not as good. B PEX is just polyethylene with a PEX coating. PEX B can't be reformed as PEX A can. And the system of fittings for PEX b is just bad. If I were water I'd get a headache riding though there.

First choice PEX A second choice hyperpure (PE-RT).

Actually first choice is copper for what your doing.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Curious--in your book, is the advantage for PEX-A over PE-RT just the longer track record of PEX-A? Or is there something else?

Cheers, Wayne
Probably. That and flexibility. And it's ability to reform/ keeps its memory.

Dar Dack

Reaction score
It's just not as good. B PEX is just polyethylene with a PEX coating. PEX B can't be reformed as PEX A can. And the system of fittings for PEX b is just bad. If I were water I'd get a headache riding though there.

First choice PEX A second choice hyperpure (PE-RT).

Actually first choice is copper for what your doing.
I know copper better, but i am on a budget for this.

EDIT: or did you mean just to shower head, cause that I can do, only a few feet.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know copper better, but i am on a budget for this.

EDIT: or did you mean just to shower head, cause that I can do, only a few feet.
The shower head and tub should both be copper for the best results. But pex if fine enough

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From the valve to the showerhead, PEX will be fine. If you were planning multiple shower heads, then the larger diameter of copper would work better, but 1/2" PEX can flow more than a stock shower head can release, so should work without issues. The ID of PEX-a fittings are larger than the other types, which can help, but again, on a single shower head, it should work.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
From the valve to the showerhead, PEX will be fine. If you were planning multiple shower heads, then the larger diameter of copper would work better, but 1/2" PEX can flow more than a stock shower head can release, so should work without issues. The ID of PEX-a fittings are larger than the other types, which can help, but again, on a single shower head, it should work.
The reason cooper is better for a shower head isn't flow. It's expansion and contraction of fixed points behind an often tiled or otherwise pain in the ass to fix, wall. I've witnessed in action the snaking of the PEX after the drop ear ell is screwed in place. Over time expanding, contraction, fixed metal objects... you get the picture.

Can't say as I've seen a failure though. So there's that.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pipe diameter to a single shower head is a moot point. Shower heads being generally restricted to 2.5gpm or in many states 1.8gpm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks