Shower not hot enough! Premier

Users who are viewing this thread

Witek_M

Reaction score
Hi all,

Great site here. Did some searching could not find answer to my problem.

As title of the message states I don't get hot enough water in the shower. In adjacent sink cold water 56F, hot water 115F. House has electric tank water heater.

Loosened hot water limit screw all the way. Got less volume but no temp. change. From reading this forum I assume I need to replace cartridge. Went to local hardware stores (Sunday. Only big two were open) did not find what I needed. Plummer that did remodeling in no longer with us.

I need help identifying the brand. Couple of pix below.

Thanks in advance,
Witek.

img_8940_std.jpg

img_8943_std.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You have a Premier valve I can't say the specific model as your pic does not show the handle and other trim. You can find it here. http://www.premierfaucet.com

I have found a parts diagram close to your model the valve I believe would be tha same basic valve.http://www.premierfaucet.com/PDFs/120137Parts.pdf

The concern I have is you may want to bump the water heater up 5 degrees to 120 vs. the 115 your at. I would also check out the balancing spool # 14 in the parts diagram to make sure the spool is not jammed. This may also limit the hot water flow.

Your valve is a Delta knockoff right down to its worst feature. If you go to remove the cartridge be very careful. Try removing the nut by hand. If this nut is squeezed it will easily distort into an oval shape and be nearly impossible to remove. the section of the valve that contains the cartridge is held in place by 3 small tubes and they are easily twisted and ripped out making either a valve replacement necessary or a very good plumber to repair the valve.

Their guarantee is very interesting...

Limited Lifetime Warranty

Premier faucets are manufactured under the highest standards of workmanship. All parts of the faucet are warranted to be free from leaks or drips during domestic use for as long as the original consumer purchaser owns this product. This excludes industrial, commercial, or business use. Premier will replace free of charge, under the warranty conditions, the entire unit or any part (at our option) which proves defective in material and/or workmanship under normal installation, use, and service. This warranty is limited to defective parts as stated. Additional labor charges and/or damage incurred in installation, repair or replacement, as well as incidental and consequential damages, therewith are excluded. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation of incidental damages may not apply to you. Any damage to this faucet as a result of misuse, abuse, neglect, accident, improper installation, Acts of God, or any use violating instructions furnished by us, will void this warranty. To obtain warranty service, please return faucet and sales receipt to place of purchase.

Taking the valve out of the wall for a drip is very practical!

Last edited:

Witek_M

Reaction score
Thanks Redwood,

I have found exact valve on their website.
http://www.premierfaucet.com/PDFs/118000Parts.pdf

I agree. Nut is thin and flimsy but it came loose by hand. I had to abort and put it together until I get parts.

Water heater is another issue. I have upper thermostat set at 140F and lower at 120F and a bit. Still on some days my wife complains water is not hot enough for dishes.

Warranty. Yeah, just bring it back we'll give you another one.:eek:

Cheers,
Witek.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It might be time to check out that water heater and see whats wrong with it! I'm sure that it is part of your problem.

Make sure that you grease that nut and do not overtighten it!

Last edited:

Wondering

Reaction score
Shouldn't you have BOTH of your water heater thermostats set the same??
I would think the way it is set the top will run more than the bottom and this is why you run out of hot water--Sorta like when the bottom element burns out and you are running on the top only. You have hot water just not nearly enough. Try putting both on the same temp and see if you aren't in better shape.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I set my stats with the top stat about 3-5 degrees lower than the bottom.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It is not precise that is why it is 3-5.

I have over time figured where that spot is on the stats. The reason is to insure that heater will cycle properly. If you set them at the same temp you cant tell unless you stand there and wait for it to switch, and that would be after the tank was heated and was in use.

Witek_M

Reaction score
It is not precise that is why it is 3-5.

I have over time figured where that spot is on the stats. The reason is to insure that heater will cycle properly. If you set them at the same temp you cant tell unless you stand there and wait for it to switch, and that would be after the tank was heated and was in use.

Thanks,

Will tackle it on the weekend. It will take me an hour on all four to get to lower thermostat.:)

Witek.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thats a good sign!

terminal to terminal approx 13 ohms this will vary with wattage.

terminal to element nut and, or, tank will read open.

When water is used the upper will come on first then when satisfied the upper turns off and the lower turns on until satisfied.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Premier?

Redwood....I was not previously familiar with the Premier brand. I am familiar with other knock-off, like EZ Flow, Pro-Value, etc. which accept genuine Delta parts usually. Does Premier accept Delta parts, or do you have to get their parts?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some of the shower temperature control valves can't be set above about 120 F. If the internals or setting are slightly off, the tolerance on that may be on the low side.

You may have to make some adjustment with a file or other tool to go a little hotter on the adjustment. You can probably tell from your hardware which way you have cheat something to make it hotter. I find that a Dremel tool is great for removing a little material in tight places.

I would also crank up the water heater to 150 on both upper and lower thermostats. That will give you more available hot water and the control will always give the upper element priority on power. Your dishwasher will have hotter water because it doesn't have a temperature controller.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Redwood....I was not previously familiar with the Premier brand. I am familiar with other knock-off, like EZ Flow, Pro-Value, etc. which accept genuine Delta parts usually. Does Premier accept Delta parts, or do you have to get their parts?

I was not familiar with them either... I just managed to find the website... I suppose with all knock offs its a matter of hoping the chinese manufactureer copied them close enough that delta parts work.

I hear the chinese are now making Glacier Bay Knock offs! ROFLMAO

Witek_M

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies. Ordered parts through mail. Replaced cartridge and balancing valve, set both heater thermostats to ~125F. All is well.

Witek. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks