Shower Mixing Valve or Tank not putting hot water through

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by kwspears, Dec 28, 2011.

1. kwspears

kwspears New Member

I have a shower that can't get beyond luke warm. Sink next to it gets plenty of hot water. I have sterling fixtures throughout and the house is about 15 years old. I changed out the mixing valve, but that didn't completely solve the problem. I can finally get medium warm water if I let it run for 5 minutes, and then, every once in a while full hot water comes through (not good if you're in the shower!). Attaching 2 pictures. Do I need to replace the mixing tank/fixture behind the valve, clean something out somehow, or something else? Trying to avoid the major plumbing bill if I can.... IMG_1382 (598x800).jpg IMG_1377 (598x800).jpg

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    Do you have a hot water circulation system and pump? That valve does not appear to have a "temperature limiting stop", so if everything else is proper, you should get maximum hot water when it is turned all the way to the left. BUT, a malfunctioning circulation system CAN produce your symptoms.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The piece with the word "up" on it is the balancing spool. Pull it out with needle nose pliers, and replace it.

5. kwspears

kwspears New Member

I don't. Hot water works fine everywhere else.

6. kwspears

kwspears New Member

Thanks for the information on the balancing spool! Will give that a try. Is it there any trick to pulling it out? (Trying to avoid a Tim the Toolman moment!).

7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    Actually, it is the whole cartridge, and the "trick" is to have a new one on hand BEFORE you remove the old one.