Shower Light Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

centurion

Reaction score
I am redoing a shower. It has an existing recessed 6" ceiling light which I want to replace. I have seen conflicting info on whether or not the light fixture has to be rated for wet location or damp. I can find lots of trim rings that are rated for wet, but the only cans I can find are rated damp. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
2017 NEC 410.10(D) says in part "Luminaires located within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to shower spray."

So a wet location rating is not necessarily required. My understanding is that if you put a wet location trim on a can light, the luminaire counts as rated for wet locations for the purposes of the above.

Cheers, Wayne

centurion

Reaction score
Thanks Wayne. Your information is very helpful. In doing some research, it seems popular to use LED ceiling lights in place of pot lights. Relatively cheap and easy install. Anyone had any experience with using a LED in a shower? The present light I am replacing has a raised dome and really spreads out the light. I wonder if the LED will be more directional and what the quality of the light will be like. Anyone with any experience? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It really depends on the fixture...LEDs tend to have a fairly narrow spread, but it depends on the number of LEDs, how they're mounted if more than one, and the lens used, what the spread is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks