Shower Leaking

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by RStxk, Aug 12, 2018.

1. RStxk

RStxk New Member

It seems my brand new shower is leaking underneath the shower base (I have a solid surface Onyx base). The carpet along the connecting wall in my bedroom is wet all the way down. I am thinking that the drain may have been installed improperly and the water is not all going down the drain. I removed the drain cover, and I have attached a picture of what the drain looks like. Does this look right? Could this be allowing water to run under the base?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Attached Files:

2. dj2

dj2 In the Trades

Between the 2" drain riser and the shoe basket, there should be a thick rubber gasket, sitting very snugly.

If not, that could be the cause of the leak.

Another place to check is the thin gasket or plumber's putty between the shoe basket and the tub.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. RStxk

RStxk New Member

There is a gasket around the pipe...but I cannot say how snugly it fits. The pipe is cast iron, and not perfectly round any more...so I'm guessing that water is getting around the drain. Any suggestions on a way to seal off the edges of the pipe? Thanks!