Shower Leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

RStxk

Reaction score
It seems my brand new shower is leaking underneath the shower base (I have a solid surface Onyx base). The carpet along the connecting wall in my bedroom is wet all the way down. I am thinking that the drain may have been installed improperly and the water is not all going down the drain. I removed the drain cover, and I have attached a picture of what the drain looks like. Does this look right? Could this be allowing water to run under the base?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Attachments

• Drain.JPG
    Drain.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 107

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Between the 2" drain riser and the shoe basket, there should be a thick rubber gasket, sitting very snugly.

If not, that could be the cause of the leak.

Another place to check is the thin gasket or plumber's putty between the shoe basket and the tub.

RStxk

Reaction score
There is a gasket around the pipe...but I cannot say how snugly it fits. The pipe is cast iron, and not perfectly round any more...so I'm guessing that water is getting around the drain. Any suggestions on a way to seal off the edges of the pipe? Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks