Shower leaking! Please help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Fatherof2

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Brand new here..............first post.

I think I may have really screwed up here.

I was trying to replace my shower handle. The handle itself was broken but not leaking at all.

I removed the old one and started slowly backing out the screw on the right. When I did, cold water started coming out of the head. I screwed it back in flush, and the water continues to come out.

I shut the water off in the house as it is more than a drip.

What the heck did I do? How do I fix this?

Thanks very much for any advice!

Here is a picture:

fatherof2-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is that for some reason, when the screw was installed, it either cracked or pierced something, or maybe split it. It worked fine until you moved it. You're going to have to take the trim off and look. It may become obvious. It may also show that it has been leaking (probably slowly) for awhile, and there may be some damage behind the wall. If you're lucky (well, luckier than you might be!), there's no damage behind the wall. Once you have the trim plate off, post a picture of that as well. Use the macro button on the camera to get it to focus well close up. If it only has symbols, it's often a symbol of a flower. If you're really lucky, the valve may have individual shutoffs, and you can turn those off and turn the water back on in the house until you can fix things. You can't tell until the trim is off, though.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is NOT a "trim plate". It looks like those two screws hold everything together and if so, there is no way to tell what might have gotten dislodged when you loosened the one.The two screw and the white "pin" are similar to Kohler's design but the cartridge itself is not.

Fatherof2

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I the pressure got messed up when I loosened the screw.
I shut the water off and took the thing apart. I am back in business.
The new problem is that it leaks when I run the shower. It is fine when the shower is off.
I will call Kohler for some new parts.
At least I can leave the water on in the house!!
Thanks again!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks