Shower leak in master bath

Users who are viewing this thread

johnb123

Reaction score
I have a small master bath that was redone probably 10 years ago by the previous owner. A few weeks ago I had to replace a cracked tile in front of the shower curb. When I pulled up the tile, I noticed that it was wet underneath. I assumed that when my wife and I would get out of the shower the some dripping/standing water would penetrate the crack, hence the wet subfloor. So I let if dry out for a week then replaced the tile. Now that we have been using the shower again for the last two weeks, I am noticing water staining on the ceiling in my garage. There is a leak that i need to find. Since the tile was just in front of the curb, I am suspecting that it is coming from that area. I will add a few pictures. There is definitely some missing grout and I plan to try recaulking around the curb and the the glass door channel. There is a big open gap under the curb the needs caulk. Based on the pictures are there any other suspect areas?

Attachments

• shower1.jpg
    shower1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 193
  • shower2.jpg
    shower2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 187
  • shower3.jpg
    shower3.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 188

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, tile is not the waterproofing, a shower should be water tight even without tile on it.

Does the curb have any slope towards the inside of the shower? Can't tell, did they use any screws to mount the bottom track on the door? There should not be any.

Some studies say that 70-80% of the showers built are not built to industry standards.

johnb123

Reaction score
First, tile is not the waterproofing, a shower should be water tight even without tile on it.

Does the curb have any slope towards the inside of the shower? Can't tell, did they use any screws to mount the bottom track on the door? There should not be any.

Some studies say that 70-80% of the showers built are not built to industry standards.

I will check on the curb but my assumption is that there is no slope since it does hold water. There is one screw holding the door frame at the bottom in place.

I have lived in the house for 6 years and the water spots just started appearing on the garage ceiling last week. My guess is that the bathroom was done probably 10-15 years ago.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It can take years before evidence of leaks show up when they're slow. Your curb may be rotten at this point. ONce that happens, the wood (typical) swells, and pops tile off, opening things up for more leaking. It's never a good idea to poke holes in your liner...code doesn't allow any 2" below the top of the curb for a reason.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks