Shower insert question....stud walls...furring strip?

Users who are viewing this thread

NickT

Reaction score
Going to be installing a shower insert and surround, my exterior wall is where the back of the shower surround and pan will be going. Behind my drywall there are just 1x4 furring strips attached to the exterior block wall. Would that be enough to screw the pan and shower surround to or should I stud it out? The current shower is an alcove that is only 32" square but it was tiled and the backer board for the tile was attached to the fur strips. Both end walls will be standard stud once I built out one end. Thanks for help

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The furring strips should be fine if they're firmly attached to the block wall. Just make sure whatever screws you use aren't too long, and you can't get them snugged up properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks