shower help - can't stop the leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

reedmatt

Reaction score
Hi All!
I just installed a new 3 handle bath/shower faucet. I attached all galvanized pipes tightly and used threading compound on all joints. Every time I test this, water comes dripping out. I've redone this twice, and still there is leaking water. I'm attaching a picture, The red arrows indicates dripping. Anyone have any ideas on what to do, I'm ready to replace everything with plastic...I'm not sure what to do.
Thanks for any help.
:eek:

Attachments

• pipes.jpg
    pipes.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 341

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
You either havn't tightened the joints enough or they are coroded and should be replaced. Joint compound is to lubricate not create a seal. I personally would replace it with pex.

XR4ti

Reaction score
Yep, probably not tight enough.

What's on the other side of the drywall and metal lath?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leaks

There is absolutely NO reason those joints should leak if you are using the right compound and tightening them correctly. IF you use PEX, you will probably create a different problem. One which you would have to live with for the rest of its life. In the first place NEITHER of those joints have any significant pressure during normal use, so a minor drip under test pressure would probably not leak in normal usage. Second, since it is steel piping, it will probably rust shut and stop any small leak in a matter of days. But the real solution is to put them together properly and not have the issue at all.

Eldan

Reaction score
I wonder...what kind of "threading compound" did you use? And did you put any on the union mating surface? (Don't.) Did you use a backing wrench when you made the joints? (Do.) Use brand new red brass unions. Double check that pipe dope. Maybe try the pink teflon tape instead.

In my non-professional opinion you should take all that out and replace with a single handle pressure balanced valve body. Better shower, and it's code.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
That looks to be a normal replacement...try teflon tape and pipe dope and be sure the threads are very tight and that the unions mate right before tightning...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks