Shower head replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

DaHu

Reaction score
So its an easy job. However. My building has super thick pipes coming out of the wall that have a normal size end. The universal shower heads screw on but they usually require you to move a piece up the pipe to tighten it down. Those pieces are too small to move up the pipe. So water sprays everywhere. Not sure why the built it like this, but is there any way around it? Need a shower head with a hose for washing the dog!

So long store short. threads are normal universal size, but the pipe turns to be about 1/2 inch bigger right where the threads are.

Any advice?

PS I cant even find pictures online but I found one that sorta explains what I mean.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/1306229...ead-4-Inch-in-Oil-Rub-modern-showerhead-parts

Cheers

DaHu

Reaction score
I figured it would make no sense, sorry.

The pipe has the standard size thread at the end of the pipe. I can actually screw on the new shower head no problem. The problem is there is a plastic part of the new shower head that needs to slide up the pipe while you tighten the new shower head in. Then, when it's on tight you slide that plastic part back down to then end of the pipe to lock the shower head on tight. Well the main part of the pipe from the wall is a good 1/2" thicker than the standard threading part. The plastic part will not fit up the main tube. If I just omit the plastic part that goes up the tube, I can't get a tight seal and water sprays everywhere.

I will try to get a better pic tonight.

Again sorry if it's confusing. Its a newish apartment like 10 years old.

johnmeto

Reaction score
It's usually as easy as unscrewing the old, then replacing it with the new one. Just be careful not put a lot of pressure on the shower arm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks