Shower Head GPM

Users who are viewing this thread

garberfc

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new shower head and I have a question about pressure and flow rate.

I want as much water as possible coming out of the shower head, but I also would like at least moderate pressure. I have a well, so the pressure varies depending on how much water is in the pressure tank. I'd say it cycles between 50 and 70psi.

What's the difference between a 1.75g/m head vs. a 2.5g\m head? Are there just more/larger holes in the head?

Should I look for a shower head like the Moen Engage: https://www.moen.com/products/Engag...-Diameter-Spray-Head-Handheld-Shower/26115SRN that delivers 2.5g/m, or a head like the Moen Engage https://www.moen.com/products/Engag...netix-Eco-Performance-Handheld-Shower/26100EP that has a flow rate of 1.75g/m?

Kohler has a head https://www.us.kohler.com/us/awaken...ges/1979326.htm?skuId=1979189&brandId=1148916 that promises 2.5 gpm (9.5 lpm) maximum flow rate at 45 psi. Is that possible with 1/2 pipes?

Thanks in advance for your help,
F

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Contact Moen the difference is likely the flow restrictor the heads could be identical but I can't say

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes it's more than possible to have a shower head that gives 2.5g at 45psi.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Remove shower head and test in a bucket . you will never get more than flows with the head off. long runs of smaller pipe with PEX fittings , or older galvanized pipe the flow might not be great .
As I mentioned about differences of the shower heads I've never compared them and probably never will so I'll leave that for you to contact Moen and get that answered garberfc, let us know your findings please .

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What may matter more to you is the VELOCITY of the water coming out of the nozzles in the shower. Acceleration can only occur in a jet if you can supply more volume into it than it can pass...what happens is that the water (fluid, could be liquid or gas) 'sees' the restriction and tried to speed up so the same volume goes through to preserve the momentum.

So, you can't make an informed decision on whether you'll like a head with 1.5gpm or one with 2.5gpm, as their spray pattern, jet size, velocity can all vary considerably. IOW, you might like a head with a lower GPM than one with a higher value. For example, a rain shower head tends to have lots of openings, little actual restriction, and literally, the water just falls out without any acceleration. Some prefer that. A single small jet might come out uncomfortably fast, and you may not like that, but there's a huge range in between.

Shower Head Principles | Terry Love Plumbing Advice & Remodel DIY & Professional Forum

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks