shower head dribling

Users who are viewing this thread

J carr

Reaction score
I just put in a new moen shower with temp control and when I go to fill the tub with water the shower dribils water out how do i fix that?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might not be able to without repiping. What type of pipe do you have to the tub spout and what do you have going up to the showerhead?

There's a prescribed distance and pipe to the spout. If you used pex, or some other plastic pipe and not copper, or if it is too long, or if you used the wrong ports, you can get too much restriction and it will back up into the showerhead.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You will note on the upper right side of page 2 there are specific requirements for the spout connection.

It must be 6" to 12" lower than the mixer valve and must be 1/2" copper or IPS sized pipe only. If PEX or CPVC is used the showerhead will dribble.

moen-tub-spout-install.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
You will note on the upper right side of page 2 there are specific requirements for the spout connection.

It must be 6" to 12" lower than the mixer valve and must be 1/2" copper or IPS sized pipe only. If PEX or CPVC is used the showerhead will dribble.

Not mine! But yes, and since I was working with a used tub that already had holes in wrong places, I did have to do a little extra work to get the minimum length necessary.

Attachments

• tubfil.jpg
    tubfil.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 275

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Not mine! But yes, and since I was working with a used tub that already had holes in wrong places, I did have to do a little extra work to get the minimum length necessary.

WoW ???!!!!!!!!

You've got that valve upside down, using the shower for the tub spout, the tub spout port for the shower.

Hot is cold and cold is hot........you "may" of been able to switch index buttons but I'm thinking the valves open 180 opposite of their normal on/off patterns.

That blocking would have me using C-4 explosives behind that wall.

Anyone accidentally hits that tub spout a few years from now, it's going to shear right off because CPVC is very brittle as it ages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
WHAT THE F IS THAT???!!!!!!!!

Yes, I thought you might enjoy commenting on it!

You've got that valve upside down, using the shower for the tub spout, the tub spout port for the shower.

Hot is cold and cold is hot........you "may" of been able to switch index buttons but I'm thinking the valves open 180 opposite of their normal on/off patterns.

The directions specifically said the valve could be used either way by re-positioning an internal part, and the valves are both still "righty-tighty" (off) and "lefty-loosey" (open) with hot on the left and cold on the right.

That blocking would have me using C-4 explosives behind that wall.

Yes, and that would be about the only way to ever damage it!

Anyone accidentally hits that tub spout a few years from now, it's going to shear right off because CPVC is very brittle as it ages.

Yes, that is a problem I did not know about at the time and will need fixing if that ever happens. However, there is a sump in the floor just a couple of feet from there, so the broken PVC will be the only damage.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you really screwed the pooch on this one! Even if the valve is not upside down, which we think it is, the 6" to 12" spec to the spout means vertical distance, not just adding pipe and elbows. That u-bend compunds the issue you already have with the CPVC pipe, which violates the manufacturer's install spec.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

those valves were inverted all the time when the supply came from overhead. The restrictor had to be relocated on two valve, non twin ell, versions, but that was a minor thing. The biggest question is "HOW did you get the spout attached" given that the bottom section is not parallel to the wall. And if you had room to make the double 90 offset, you should have been able to drop straight down.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Lee your plumbing has an amazing ability to function somewhat no matter how badly you install it.

Im the case of your shower I can only assume that your well system is functioning at an extreemely low volume and pressure. Surely if you had a 1/2 decent water supply the water would come out of both. There is no doubt in my mind!

Maybe plumbing advice is not your strong suit...

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
The biggest question is "HOW did you get the spout attached" given that the bottom section is not parallel to the wall.

Just out-of-sight in the picture, the pipe turns up and straight forward toward the spout.

And if you had room to make the double 90 offset, you should have been able to drop straight down.

Sure, but the tub was a used one with holes already in wrong places. I would have liked to raise things up, and I did not want double handles. But, I had to make do with what I had ... and the shower does not drip while the spout is running ... and I have not given anyone any advice at all, Redwood.

Surely if you had a 1/2 decent water supply the water would come out of both. There is no doubt in my mind!

Well, just come see for yourself anytime you might wish. Our water pressure runs between 35 and 55 psi, and the spout never emits even one drop while the shower is running through however many pump cycles it takes for me to enjoy a nice and long hot spray.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
www.obamatheplumber.com
just put in a new Moen shower with temp control and when I go to fill the tub with water the shower dribils water out how do i fix that?
J Carr

J Carr,
You may have installed your "Moen" valve upside down.
The Moen is drilled to have a smaller opening for the shower side, allowing most of the water to go to the tub spout.
If it's upside down, then it will allow water to run up to the shower head.

On Lee's project, since he knew about the part that could be internally turned over, I think he should be okay.
It's still fun to look at though.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Yes, I thought you might enjoy commenting on it!

The directions specifically said the valve could be used either way by re-positioning an internal part, and the valves are both still "righty-tighty" (off) and "lefty-loosey" (open) with hot on the left and cold on the right.

Yes, and that would be about the only way to ever damage it!

Yes, that is a problem I did not know about at the time and will need fixing if that ever happens. However, there is a sump in the floor just a couple of feet from there, so the broken PVC will be the only damage.

WHAT THE E?

Well, if it works, it works. I give you internet cred for putting the picture up so everyone could see.

I don't think it'll ever come loose though...

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I am shocked they still sell two handled tub and shower valves. In Illinois you have to put in a single handle valve or if the home owner really has their heart set on a two handle set up you need to install an easily accessible thermal mixing valve to prevent scalding.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That installation is truly amazing...
Why don't you enter it in Marks Pig Slop Plumbing Contest...
Perhaps some good will come from it!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks