Shower Handle turns, and I hear water but nothing comes out of the shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Casualfc

Reaction score
I have a stall shower (no tub faucet) in an area of my house that doesn't get much use. The shower has its own shutoff valves due to no heat in the winter (converted garage bathroom, I'm in New Jersey). Recently when I tried turning the shower on, I heard the water in the pipes, but nothing coming out the shower head. I inspected the shower head (newer, no issues). Finally, I got Moen to send a 1222 cartridge which I installed and still had no luck. When I installed the cartridge I did notice this particular Moen valve has the shutoff stops on either side of the valve. I turned both counterclockwise to loosen them up and still no luck. I'm trying to to do as much as can before opening the wall behind it and inspecting. Thoughts?

Mike Rock

Reaction score
Did you test to see if water comes out with cartridge removed?
The only thing I can think of is perhaps the showerhead line is frozen (or showerhead clogged), or one of your supplies is frozen/off. I know the Delta's will not turn on if one of the supplies is off, its part of the balancing mechanism inside.

Casualfc

Reaction score
Victory! Somewhat. Pulled the cartridge out and get a decent flow out the valve. Played with the internal shut offs so I believe they are open all the way and I got the flow up to what I believe is full blast. With cartridge and handle back on I got only a slight flow out of the showerhead. Pulled off the showerhead and got no flow out of the top pipe. So it looks like corrosion/blockage in the shower pipe above the valve. Poured some white vinegar into the top of the pipe but didn’t get much in. Low ceiling made it tricky. Letting it sit overnight and will check again tomorrow.

Any additional thoughts for clearing top shower pipe?

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is 2 types of shut offs in those valves. One type where slot has to be inline with flow to be on, and other... counter clockwise till it stops opens all the way

Casualfc

Reaction score
Thanks. It’s a Posi Temp if that helps determine which type of shutoff. mill play with it again tonight.

Casualfc

Reaction score
I’m wondering if it’s more than a clogged line. Tried cartridge in, cartridge out and got full flow on the cold side, nothing on the hot side.
I checked the internal shutoff and it seems as if it’s a quarter turn on/off and that’s it. Both shutoffs do turn but nothing on hot side.
This all started a few years ago when a pipe broke and I added a coupling then 2 shutoff valves before re sheet rocking the closet. There appears to be no leaks so I have no idea why the hot side has no flow.
May be opening the wall and dissecting the whole thing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks