Shower glass installation - less than 1/8" gap between U-Channel frame and glass acceptable?

Users who are viewing this thread

JMitch

Reaction score
I had a frameless shower installed today for my new steam room. There is a metal frame (U-Channel) at the top of the ceiling with glass inside the U-Channel frame. There is slightly less (between 1/16 and 1/8 inch) of space between the glass and the U-Channel frame. Is this considered acceptable, or should the glass be cut bigger to fit the U-Channel frame better?

You can see a photo of the frame at http://i.imgur.com/y5Uo6BC.jpg - the top part of the U-Channel is full of silicone, and the glass is barely hugging the frame.

Update: The vendor installation manager finally agreed that 1/8" was too short. The installer has a minimum of 5/16", and the vendor agreed to replace everything because the glass was not cut properly.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Normally, they put the rubber "U" gasket around the glass and then push it all the way into the aluminum channel, which means there is NO gap between the glass and the rail.

JMitch

Reaction score
Normally, they put the rubber "U" gasket around the glass and then push it all the way into the aluminum channel, which means there is NO gap between the glass and the rail.
Thanks. I learned the vendor uses a CR Laurence 3/4" U channel. The glass is 1/2" thick.

As for the rubber, that sounds interesting - I haven't seen that. Where can I learn more about the rubber gasket?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks