Shower Floor Drain + Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

UrbanNest

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first time posting here. Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts and tips.

I plan on hiring a professional plumber to do the job, however, I like to know before proceeding if what I have in mind is possible or not.

After removing a fiberglass shower on a concrete slab, I am left with the 1 1/2" floor drain + overflow. I would like to replace it with a shower, however, I understand that code dictates 2" floor drain for showers. I get the point that showers require a 2" drain in order to drain fast enough thus avoiding risk of flooding.

As a compromise, I intend to have a contractor build a tiled shower, with a 20" curb in order to prevent any chances of water not draining fast enough causing a flood. Effectively, it is a tiled bathtub.

At the same time, I am relocating the sink and I wanted to know if T-ing or Y-ing a sink drain to this floor drain would be possible.

Also, considering that all the access we have is above slab, do you believe a plumber has enough to work with?

Thank you kindly!

Jonathan

PXL_20210211_221401251.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most tub drains were 2" with a 1.5" trap and 1.5" vent.
Somewhere down there I would expect to find some 2" pipe.
Also, up until the 60's all showers were run with 1.5" traps as was the tub that you had. I'm sure the plumber will be able to fit that in for you.

UrbanNest

Reaction score
Most tub drains were 2" with a 1.5" trap and 1.5" vent.
Somewhere down there I would expect to find some 2" pipe.
Also, up until the 60's all showers were run with 1.5" traps as was the tub that you had. I'm sure the plumber will be able to fit that in for you.

Thank you Terry for the quick response.

So my understanding is that the code changed recently. I even had one plumber say that he's connected many showers to a 1 1/2" drain.

I don't have access to the plumbing below as it is the neighbour and I really don't want to open their ceiling.

With what is sticking out of the floor, should a good plumber have any issues adjusting the plumbing to replace what is there with a shower drain and T a bathroom sink drain to it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks